Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Brake

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by mini_chew90, May 10, 2008.

1. Hey I have a CBR125 and was just adjusting the chain length cause the free play was like 4.5cm. Be fore i started I spin the back wheel and found that it doesn't spin properly. I can hear a slight grinding from the pad touching the disk like some one is applying the brake. Is this normal? or what should I do?
    Oh and the bikes only done 300km so does it just need time to set in??
    Cheers Chewy

2. you will always get a fair degree of rolling resistance on the rear because of the chain, but a dragging rear brake isnt cool. if its brand new take it back to mr honda and jump up and down about the heap of shit they talked you into buying :grin:

3. Yeh it is the break not the chain and um after that I still went a head and fixed the slack could do that void my warrenty??? Bugger

4. When you say you "fixed the slack", I hope you only tensioned it as per instructions in your manual. When the shock compresses the chain tightens, and a leaking countershaft seal, lunched gearbox, or destroyed rear hub won't be covered under warranty.

All pads drag to a certain extent. If there is free air between the pad and the disc, then you should be worried, as you'll have to pump the brakes before they apply.

5. It's not a mountain bike. ;-)

All disc brakes (that I know of) drag the pad against the disc slightly. You cannot spin the rear wheel unless you remove the chain and push the caliper a little to set the pads back off the disc.

What you have seen is normal disc brake behaviour.

I hope you still have around 2.5 to 3.0 cm of chain slack at the tightest point. Did you realise you need to rotate the chain until you find the tightest point before performing or assessing any adjustment?

Cheers

Trevor G

6. Oh yeh cheers last two post. Um yeh tightened it to 3cm and yeh cool. it brakes weren't dragging bad as more like a light skim. Ok sweet yeh new to motorbike and vechiles for that. Cheers again