Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear brake

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Bodglet83, Sep 17, 2013.

1. #1 Bodglet83, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Hi all,

Anyone able to tell me a good place where I can get my rear brake tightened on my 250 intruder.

I feel like it's taking longer to slow down and the harder I push the brake the more I skid or fishtail.

Any suggestions?

2. Have you tried adjusting the pedal?

When you say get it tightened do you mean that the pedal has become lose or it travels more before retarding your progress?

Have a look at the pads for wear and the disk for warping/damage.

Also "brake".
  3. Stop smashing the rear brake pedal, and start using your front brake lever instead :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Break?

Am I missing something here, what is the question?,
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sorry, but made a new years resolution:
    Do not entertain any queries relating to "breaks" or "rocket covers" or "110%"
  6. How is the wear on your "tires"?
  7. Ok til they effect the stearing
  8. You need to check your headsock.
  9. #9 iClint, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    the rear brake is easily adjusted, on the rear drum there is a lever attached by a linkage to the foot brake.

as the brake shoes wear it is necessary to take up the slack in the drum by tightening the nuts on the lever. (first nut is a lock nut the second nut is for adjustment, if you tighten it to far you will lock the brake on)

on the drum and near the lever will be a wear indicator, when the marker is at the thin end of the indicator your brake shoes will need replacing.

if your not confident doing it yourself any bike shop can do the job, an adjustment should be free ( a good bike shop would help you out in the hope fore some repeat business it only takes 2 mins to adjust) or at most $20, if the shoes need replacing $40 parts and 1-1.5 hours labour
  10. You'll probably find the Intruder rear brake is a drum type and you can easily adjust it yourself. The adjustment should be in the form of a nut/wingnut at the end of the actuating rod that goes to the rear brake drum (right hand side) The amount of adjustment needed depends how much freeplay you already have at the brake pedal ( about 20-25mm might be a guide) Freeplay is the downward movement before the brake starts to work. Have a go and see what you can do. You say you're pushing harder, that may be because there is excessive travel needed to make the brake work, ending up with your toes pointing downwards too far.

Having said that, you should be using your front brake to do most of your slowing down, don't rely only on the rear as it's not going to pull you up in an emergency. Get a feel for what it's like to use the front brake to do most of the work and it'll help with your confidence on the road;)

Edit: iClint beat me to it(y)
  11. Motorcycles have rear brakes ?? Have to have a look at my bike when I get home ;-)
  12. It's a brake, not a break. If it breaks, you're in big trouble!
  13. If you're unable to figure out the adjustment yourself, come down to a saturday practice session. More than likely, there will be any number of strapping lads all to keen to help out a lady in distress.

Also, I'm gonna make the dangerous assumption (based on bike and forum join date) that you are rellatively fresh to riding so a bit of time round the cones won't hurt - apologies in advance if I've assumed too much.
  14. Thanks to all who gave me some constructive advise. Ive also corrected spelling errors. Viscera99 thanks for the advise and your assumption is correct. I had a cbf 250 and just recently got my intruder and I've just felt that its taking longer to slow down at times. Had a scary moment in the wet a few weeks ago so confidence was a bit low after that. I might swing by to a Saturday session. Thanks

Ill haves look tomorrow and see if I can see how much freeplay there is. I'm able to do some of the minor checks and servicing but can anyone suggest somewhere that might teach people some basics on maintenance and servicing (without doing a tafe course) maybe on weekends?

Cheers guys, thanks for the advise
    • Like Like x 1
  15. If you can make it, try and make it to the BP Elwood on Saturday morn and if i meet you, I'll give you a few tips on braking. It's not difficult really.
  16. Learning to use your front brake is great advice.
  17. In the passed I was weary of getting past by a rode bike when their just driving to quick.
  18. Dont ewe meen 'kwik'?

I agree with the others who say to really learn how to use the front brake. The other thing I'd recommend is good grippy tyres. MMMTS (Bruce) can help you with the tyres. Sat'dy practice can help with practicing the skills. You'll also meet other like-minded riders. :)