Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear brake

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Gurbachen, Feb 19, 2011.

1. This'll seem like a silly question, but in what situations do you use the rear brake instead of the front brake? I only did a 6-hour learner training course and the rear brake was only mentioned when it came to the slow ride at the very end, and the only mention of it was along the lines of "oh btw there's a lever thing by your right foot, that's the rear brake, tap it to go slower and breeze through the slow ride". That was pretty much it. Thanks :)

2. That is indeed pretty much it.
  3. You can do really good skids if you use the rear brake. It also brings down a wheelie really quickly.

Seriously though, I know of two very good everyday uses for it.
    • Slow riding (as mentioned)
    • Hill starts, up or downhill - a bit like how you a handbrake start in a car
    Also a couple of occasionally useful moments for the rear brake
    • Stopping as fast as possible - the rear brake does 'something' to help you stop, but no where near as much as the front brake. However, it's rarely advised in an emergency because there's a serious risk of locking the rear wheel which destabilizes the bike (last thing you want in an emergency)
    • 'Late' braking into a corner - by touching the rear brake just before you bring in the front brake, you'll barely slow the bike but you shift the weight forward a fraction earlier, meaning the front brake will work better, meaning you can hold off braking a fraction of a second
  4. And of course doing fully hektic skids...

(Don't try this at home, or on the road)
  5. I would add that it's also very useful for washing off speed and/or tightening your line mid-corner - especially on a cruiser.

Of course I'm sure someone will jump on this comment and claim touching the brakes mid-corner is bad and not what "insert MotoGP rider name here" does, but I'm assuming not everyone on the road is desperately trying to scuff their knee sliders in a corner.
  6. #6 robsalvv, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    There's 100 threads on this topic, covering every positive & significant negative. OP do a search.

Usually learners come out of training with an over reliance on rear brakes... This is not a good thing, so the OP's story is refreshing.

- - -
  7. I Only ever use the back brake by itself when doing hill starts or if Im sitting at a set of lights on a hill that points downwards so I can take my hand off the handlebars without slipping forward. I dont use it for slow riding like in carparks or anything. And when im on the go I tend to use compression braking and use both brakes at the last minute for slowing down. Sometimes if I feel a cage is too close to my rear though I will slightly tap the rear brake to make the brake lights come on (set up) so the cage will back off. Unless I know I can manage the road im on in which case ill just roll out the gears until the cage is no more than a spec in my mirror, but other than the above mentioned scenarios I dont use the back brake by itself much
  8. it's the perfect tool for filtering through stationary traffic at intersections
  9. Very rarely touch the rear. The exception being if I'm stopped on a hill or I might tap it a few times in attempt to get cages of my ass. Apart from that I don't go near it.
  10. The rears are best suited to slow riding to add a lot of stability as you maneuver slowly...ie uturns, carpark work.

The front brake is your BRAKE...the main one to use for arresting your speed.

I usually tell new riders to forget their rear brake for actual braking, so that they have trained their focus to be on the front brake in an emergency reaction, because in those circumstances the rear brake is either completely useless or dangerous at best.

However, sometimes...maybe coasting up to lights, I will just drag the rear break to stop, since there is no need for any 'heavy' braking.

There are other uses for the rear brake that the experiences and well practiced riders may use the rear brake, but that is not for this thread.

And Rob is right....do a search and you will get more information on braking than you thought possible.
  11. Rear brakes and a slick carpark makes for some fun
  12. Don't get me started lol
    Only time I use the rear brake is when the throttle is still on and staying on. Very rarely as a brake. It's a claytons brake. But as an advanced widget it's fantastic.