Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear brake where art thou?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by DUK35, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Hey guys - got a little question on the rear brakes for the virago - I find that there's heaps of free play on mine and when I really sink the brakes in it's nowhere near effective - I got drum brakes so I'm not expecting much from em but when I'm on a hill, I REALLY have to press on the thing HARD so it doesn't roll back.... is this a problem? is my rear brake completely shockers?

(I compred it to my friends 2001 virago and I can manage to skid the bike just with the rears...)
  2. How is the adjustment? Should be a spring pushing a nut and tighten this to reduce the freeplay which occurs when rear drums wear. Maybe they're worn, so check them if you haven't much freeplay left.
  3. yeah it's a spring and nut - I'll try adjusting them, what happens if it's worn? how would you fix such a thing?
  4. Get your brakes checked out, if there is no adjustment left the rear may need new shoes, rear braking on a cruiser is used more often than the front brakes, I have yet to change my front pads unlike the rear pads which I wear at a much faster rate.