Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Brake Usage

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by DemstarAus, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Hello All,

From what I hear most experienced riders very rarely use their back brake.
    I use it constantly... going down hills, during low speed moves like roundabouts/u-turns/etc, sometimes during corners if I need to avoid something...
    What is the reason behind it not being in frequent use? Is it bad to use it often?
    I should point out that I don't often use it exclusively without the front as well.

^_^ Dem
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. I do the same mate, with exactly the same proviso - I'm not trying to stop the bike fast using back brakes only, but useful (for me) for exactly what you've mentioned already. With a largish V Twin at low speed and sharp bends I find it helps, along with clutch and throttle control of course...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. I'd say whoever told you that probably has no idea.

The only time the front brake is used by me in road riding is an emergency stop or coming to a brisk stop.

The rear brake is essential on a motorcycle and should be used independently on many occassions to assist control. You should be using it during during slow speed riding or for example while lent over in bends to wash off speed without standing the bike up.

What that person may of meant is that a lot of riders slow the bike down downshifting and using engine braking to slow the bike.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I dont know dude me back wheel is always off the ground braking for turns makes the rear brake redundant;):hungry:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. How are you finding/liking the Tuono compared to previous beasts?
  6. Absoulootly lovin it! After 3 months and 6000 ks it still excites me everytime.
    Very comfy easy to do big days on and not sore at the end of it. Having come from many a litre sport bikes is by far the easiest bike to ride quick and very forgiving when u make a mistake.
    Get yourself down to A1 and test ride ( well maybe not you will be walking out with one ) lol.
    But yeah they are an awsome bit of kit(y)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I just threw my cars keys into a pond.....
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. What is the reason for behind not being in frequent use? Ignorance.

Although, under using the rear brake is far more preferable to over using it. Too many riders are 'scared' of the front brake, but that is where (on most bikes) the most stopping power is. I'm sure someone like robsalvvrobsalvv will have a far better explanation and maybe even a video demonstrating it.

But from what you've said, I'd say you got it about right.
  9. Part of this will come from me (Dem's partner), as I do not use the rear brake anywhere near as much on my bike, or recent bikes as I do when riding DemstarAus' bike. Most of my bikes have had massive engine braking (1000cc V-twin, 1402cc i4, etc.) and in most road situations it was simply not needed at speed, compared to her VTR250. My Superduke R is mostly a roll-on, roll-off bike in the hills, as I seldom ride as fast as I can, to necessitate the use of the brakes every corner.
    The other part of these conversations normally involve bits about the vast majority of stopping power coming from the front on most bikes.

I certainly do use the back brake in slow speed stuff, decreasing radius corners and mid corner line adjustments etc. but this all becomes automatic and almost sub-conscious after a while and I do not even realise how much I am using it in town.
    I think this is another one of those things, that you do not realise how much you do it until you sit down and analyse every motion as if you had to write a step-by-step book on it.
  10. Yes exactly, you just know. But noobs don't, so that sort of advice "no back brakes" can be confusing and disconcerting.
  11. Not proud of it......but this is my recent rear brake fail. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. Definitely learned a lesson so no need to hark on about it, hopefully another can learn the same lesson without throwing their brand new bike on the road.

Thinking back on it now I think I found the limit of the MT09 suspension which gave me the spooks entering the right hander. Also should have taken better notice of the roadwork sign on the left side before the corner.....corner was rippled and had gravel across it.

Bottom line, don't use the rear to strip speed off quickly, it will end in tears.

Minor cosmetic damage that has since been sorted. Was a bit sore for a couple days, but no dramas. Surreal feeling to be honest, devo that I'd done this to a new bike. Stoked I didn't die or end up in hospital. Live and learn.......and get back on that horse.
  12. If you lock the rear, one of the main things providing stability is removed from the system and the rest is often history.

A locked rear provides -0.4G of decelleration.

A weak and suboptimal front brake set up and squeeze can provide -0.6G decelleration - that's the level of braking learners are required to demonstrate on their L's test. Front brake is the optimal choice for braking to slow down to a manouvering speed.

Bad luck on the prang. so how many ebrakes have you practiced since the prang?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ouch mate, when was this. And how far did you get thrown off?
  14. glad to see both you and the bike are all good.

Also good to see that car at the end stopping to come to your assistance (n)
  15. #16 Barters81, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Literally at least 2 a day since. :)

This was a couple weeks ago, a day before the first service. Took a bit of time for my pride to heal to post it here to be honest. Wasn't thrown far, thought I had it under control until I was thrown. Palm sliders worked a treat, didn't hit my head or anything. Broke a peg (easily replaced), scratched the bottom of the alternator cover (GB racing cover and matt black paint fixed that), scratched the bar end (easily replaced). Broke the right bobbin off and the screw is still in the swing arm. Luckily the bobbin wasn't small which saved the swingarm from damage other than the broken screw. Once I get that sucker out and put a new bobbin in it won't be noticeable at all. I've tried to drill the broken screw to get an easy out in there but can't drill the screw. Might just take it to a shop to fix. Can't be that uncommon of a thing for a bike shop surely......hopefully? :)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Thank you for putting the video up Barters81Barters81. It was a great day of riding along some fun roads. I understand that corner was particularly tricky one with a nasty surface. In the end what matters is that you are fine, your bike is fine and you came out of this experience a better rider.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. It had to of been a great day for that to happen and to still come home with a grin. To be honest, the way I ride sometimes it was only a matter of time. Good to get the reality check without too much pain or embarrassment.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Glad to hear you got all the repairs sorted!

I find I rarely use the rear brake unless I drag it thru tight twisties (basically just having it in a set up position). Think I need do some more practice, including ebraking to remember to be using it along with the front which I predominately use unless leaned over in a corner.
  19. Some people are born to ride, some have to work very hard for it.

I am the latter. You, however, are the former from what I heard. Little shake up maybe, but you will only build up on this. And once again, thanks for sharing. It wouldn't have been easy, but it helps the rest of us to learn.
    • Like Like x 2