Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear brake pedal mods

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Escape3245, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Hi

I have a Yamaha Tenere (2009). The rear brake pedal is too high and i cannot rest my foot on it without applying the brake (I'm 6'4" which i think is contributing to the problem). There is some adjustment available with bolt on the plunger but it is not enough.

Does anyone have any experience/ideas or can recommend a welder/fabricator who can further adjust the pedal for me? Ideally someone located on Sydney North Shore.

Thanks in advance.
  2. As far as I know, that's not the setup on a tenere. The rod is actually the bolt, and it runs straight into the end of a vertically mounted master cylinder. It's all of about 2 inches long, so not much adjustment in it at all.

What you could look at is the possibility of raising the height of the master cylinder where it is bolted to the chassis if that could be done without too much modification, otherwise, shortening the overall length of that plunger and then getting it re-threaded.
  3. maybe easier to change your footpeg... i expect you"ll probably upgrade from the stock pissant miniature footpegs anyway
  4. Thanks everyone

Shortening the bolt and re-threading looks a real possibility. I'll report back if any success.

Regards Alan
  5. I'm curious as to how you have your feet on the pegs.

I have the balls of my feet on the pegs so my foot isn't touching the break at all and when I brake my foot comes forward onto the brake pedal. Same deal with changing gears.

I'm guessing you have the arch of your foot on the pegs?
    I've always found that weird, the same when when people ride push bikes and peddle with the arches and not the balls of their feet.

Also means their feet will be pointing outwards the side a fair bit so foot scrapping when doing tight corners will happen easier, which means a bit less lean.

I could be way wrong though.
  6. ^ That was my first thought - why are you resting your feet on the pedal at all?

I suppose at times I cover the rear brake (when filtering) without wanting to apply it fully or at all.
  7. I have had the same problem.

Got around it by cutting a few mills off the rod that presses in to the master cylinder. I actually used bolt cutters. I can post a photo if you like. Of the brake lever that is, not the bolt cutters :)

Other thing is that you can just bend your brake lever if you really want to. After having an offroad spill (or ten) I adjust my brake lever by just clamping it in a vice, then using a set of multigrips to grip the lever and bend it. I was worried about snapping the metal, but it is quite pliable and has survived a few of these dodgy fixit jobs. If your going to do this though, don’t do it with the lever still on the bike.
  8. No, even with the balls of my feet on the pegs i have a problem...i have to lift my foot to cover the brake and theni can't rest the back of my foot on the peg. Bit hard to explain but its all to do with my height and possibly inflexible ankle joint!

I want to be able to cover the rear brake when slow speed manouvering, u-turns etc....

I've had some success lowering the pedal further by removing the adjusting nut from the bolt that activtges the cyclinder - this was a tip i got on XT660.com.

If i can get the pedal bent a little bit more i think i will be sorted.

Thanks for suggestions
  9. Exactly - i've been practicing lots of slow speed turns etc and it's difficult to be smooth with braking when you've got to physically lift your foot to get on/off the brake.