Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by methanol, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Get home tonight, to find that my rear barke pads sound like metal on metal as I roll my bike into the garage. Check to see what's going on and it looks like only one of the pads are worn right down to the metal. I had them changed out the 12000km service, so they couldn't possibly have worn down that quick (at 20000kms now), and I also just had an 18K service about 2 weeks ago, and the mechanic said nothing about the rear pads. what could have caused only 1 wearing down all the way?

any help would be appreciated

and now that's happened, am I up for a new disc aswell?

2. Some cheep mechanis will use old brake pads and have them re made... they get some mob (and I think they are based in Adelide) to stick new ware pad on the old carier... the problem is they can do a crapy job and it can come off... I have seen this b4...

The other reason is that the caliper is seased and does not have full range of movement and hance you are braking with only one pad. (this can be realy bad for your disk).

Another problem (and I have seen planty of this!!) is when the mechanic (usualy puting a new rear tyre) deos not check the wheel aligment or forgets to tighten the NUT on the axle... the wheel is than on an angle and can ware out one pad faster than the other.

Last posobility... a rock stuck in the caliper!!! this would give you the noise and ic can couse faster pad ware on one side..
  3. Thanks lordtb,

It would definitely be one of the first 2 options because I always check the wheel alignment and chain slack every weekend, my bike is still under warranty, I know brakes are generally considered wear and tear, but if it's there fault surely I can get something done about this...