Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by lui, Mar 28, 2010.

1. I was wondering the area in question is it the actual brake pad or the backing of the pad (i.e. pad worn out)?

The reason I have this doubt is because the rear brake fluid has dropped quite a bit and there is no leak that I am aware of, so I thought may be it's time for new pads?

What do you think?

Cheers!

2. needs a bath.

3. Not very clear but it looks like there is plenty of pad left.

4. Bit hard to tell but doesn't look that thin. Can you get a view of the front edge of the pad? They usually have a groove in them and when the pad has worn down to the depth of the groove, it's time for new pads.

However if in doubt pull them out and take a look.

If fluids look down top up and monitor.

Also how long since the fluid was changed?

5.  Top
  6. As the pads wears away the pistons move further out of the brake caliper. As the pistons move out the fluid level in the master cylinder drops. As long as the fluid isn't lower than the minimum level mark all is ok. Those pads look like they have lots of life left in them yet.

7. Thanks guys. This was taken 500km ago, I think it's a bit on the thin side. Due to the angle of the mirror and camera the other side is not shown.

8. If you're in doubt, replace them. Splash out on a can brake cleaner too while you're at it!