Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Brake on Handlebars

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by slik50, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Hi,

I've got a DN-01 for my wife and she wants the rear brakes on the handlebars like her scooter. Can anyone point me toward someone who can modify the rear brake in this way.

The brake system on the Silverwing seems similar I was hoping to use the Silverwing rear master cylinder with with the DN-01 rear caliper.

Any thoughts?

2. hmm seems like a simple sort of job. But the ones that seem like, never are. You'll probably need to go see a custom bike shop.
  3. The DN-01 has a combined anti-lock braking system on it, and it's one of the best things about the bike. You could mount an extra brake caliper at the back and run a line up to a lever on the bar, but you'd lose your ABS - and you'd probably end up with a rear brake that's very easy to lock up.

Tell the missus to wait two weeks, and to use the foot pedal as her primary brake input, and see if she doesn't get used to it. Besides, she can grab that front brake as hard as she wants and it's not going to stoppie or slide.
  4. Probably should be fine. Not sure how the mechanical rejigging of it would work but you would probably have to take apart the bar end, electronics box and then add the extra brake lever and hook it up.

Could always ask around the Honda workshops to see if they can do it or grab a quote and shop around.
  5. the abs should be controlled at the calliper end, by sensors that wouldn't be any where needing to get touched. Shifting the master cylinder and the associated brake line + brake light switch(and Brake active wire) wiring would be a fairly straight forward job, if it didn't involve creating a whole new braking set on the bar. I am actually suprised that it isn't a factory upgrade option, seems like a bit of an oversight for something that may prove to be a viable expensive option.
  6. be aware that if you move the rear foot brake to the handlebars YOU will require a VASS engineering report. The ADR's state that the rear brake of motorcycle must be located under the r/h foot on a motorcycle.

The way i have gotten around this is i am having a pressure joint (thread cut, inserted in rear master cyclinder) i then have a unit called a clake which works both the clutch and rear brake in the one unit, but if you don't need the clutch (aren't they auto's) just re-tap the cyclinder and run a new line and lever to the handlebars, but keep the foot unit, in place and working to avoid having to get a VASS which are a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble....

Actually like has been suggested she if she can learn to use it as there is a bit of work to get around the law and to keep it all legal.
  7. I can't help you with the conversion other than to remind you that any negaitve influence in the ABS system will have your insurance company walking the other way in the event of a claim.
  8. or you could rig up the hand brake to a drum brake lever.....

there is a 2nd rear caliper thats cable operated

but i'd just get her to lean how to use the foot brake, in time she will
  9. Hi Guys,

I have had no luck getting her to usr the foot brake. This leaves me with two options:

1. Use the silverwing rear brake master cylinder and get an engineering report. I think this may not be too difficult since the master cylinder is just a "dumb" hydraulic device. All of the ABS smarts and hydraulics live in between the master cylinder and the caliper so it is not that big a modification,o but getting it passed by an engineer may cause sever anal pain.

2. simply plumb another brake line directly into the existing master cylinder as described by stewy.

Stewy - Are you able to let me know who is going to do the work on your master cylinder?

I'll let you know how it goes from here?