Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rear brake lever angle - VTR250

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by sillygit, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hey all,
    I'm finding the angle of the rear brake lever a little annoying. basically, I have to angle my foot into an awkward position if I want quick access to the lever. if I don't do this I have to lift my foot off the foot-rest then push down, which puts me off balance (or at least it feels that way). this is especially the case when I'm riding the twisties...

As far as I can tell this would be solved if I could angle the lever down a little (maybe a cm). I've had a look at the mechanism and I think this could be done by adjusting the bolt (push rod?) but the service manual doesn't mention anything specifically.

Any thoughts?

2. Dan you have deduced the solution without the benefit of a manual. The pushrod has a left-handed thread at one end and a righ-handed at the other so as you turn it it 'increases' its length. Set it up for where your foot rests naturally on the pedal and then (use a mate if you can to check) you'll need to re-adjust the brake light switch as well...
  3. thanks paul. I had figured as much but I couldn't see where to bolt was going to re-tracked/expand to and I didn't want to break anything... :)
  4. Sorry for hijacking the thread but I just adjusted the rear brake on my bike and now my brake lights are not working. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't adjust the break light switch (esp cause I don't know how :oops:) or it has something to do with the recent fitting of a slip on by yours truly. So, assuming it is the brake light switch, how do I fix that?? :shock:
  5. Mr Ed, sorry, just googled your bike mate and you have the plunger active switch. In other words the pressure thats applied to your rear brake is what turns the switch on. These are preset and dont need adjusting buy the looks of them.
    Good luck mate, if that isnt any good, I can come have a look for you. PM me if you need help. It may ahve been the slipon work that cut some wires, or you missed and earth wire some place.
  6. hmm, any hints on how to do this on a VTR250?

I'll have a look in the service manual...

EDIT: Just found this thread which seems to cover it... :)
  7. yep! Fixed it!!! Thank you all! :grin: