Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Brake Help needed..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by suzyq, Jul 25, 2006.

1. I've just had to replace the rear master cylinder on my Spada. Obviously it was broken in the crash.

Now the rear brakes still work as there is still fluid in the lines. My question is, can I just fill the reservoir with brake fluid or will I have to bleed the rear brakes?? And if so, is it difficult and can I do it and how do I do it??

2. Most manuals do not recommend mixing different batches of brake fluid, thus it might be better to bleed it first.

I thoroughly recommend that you download the service manual for the Spada, it will be a huge help.

I'll try to come up with a link.
  3. Thanks haggismaen, I have got the service manual downloaded, but it doesn't tell you how to bleed the brakes :shock: .. In fact its not really helpful in that department..it just seems to tell you how to pull things apart and put them back together :? ! unless I am missing something..
  4. You will need to bleed the brake since air would have been introduced into the system when you changed the m/c. Although the brakes might work fine now, the trapped air can travel down to the caliper, leaving you with no brakes when applied.

The bleeding process is the same for all bikes, front and back, there's heaps of info around on how to do it, but although not very difficult, it falls into the category of being easier to show rather than tell.

If you try a search you'll come up with all sorts of threads.

A quick run-down:
  5. yes definately bleed the line and put in some new and clean dot4 brake fluid. NEVER reuse old brake fluid even if it clean as i think it absorbs moisture over time.

do net searches on brake bleeding helped me out alot in the past.