Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rear brake gone already?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by cameron, Jan 19, 2007.

1. after 6000kms, my rear brake is making a grinding noise against the disc without the brake engaged...eg, rolling down a hill in neutral, i can hear something grinding against the disc.

new brake pads? how much? how much is labour?

2. Brake dust perhaps?
    Brake stuck on perhaps?

3. Warped rear disc?

When you say 'after 6000kms', you mean since last service or brakes were serviced? Unless you're real hard on those rear brakes, the pads shouldn't be worn after 6000! Check the brake pads, simple enough to do a visual on them for pad wear.

Pads don't cost much, assuming labour is being done by someone else, 1-2 hrs' worth max.

4. I would suggest that you go to an Auto Store and buy some brake parts cleaner.. spray loads of it through and around the calipers then spray it off with water ( i guess you need to go to a car wash place now with the water restrictions)... If that doesn't fix it then you move onto the pad change etc...

5. Hey, if your brakes are doing something wierd and suspicious
    and you don't know what it is, get them checked by a mechanic.

Brakes are one thing you cannot do without.

PS Common symptom of the pads being worn out, yes they CAN wear out
    in 6000kms or less, especially with people who don't use a lot
    of front brake, or cruisers, or scooters.