Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Brake Binding

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by FITZIE, May 16, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,

I had my first big off last week when the bike slid from under me during a reasonably tight left turn. Because of the protective gear I got away with a knee scrape and some bruising...the bike a bit more bark off and broken gear lever. Now the puzzling thing is I ride that same route every day to work, take that corner exactly the same way (depending on traffic), it was dry and I could see no gravel, diesel etc on the road on inspection...So I was a bit puzzled and put it down to one of those things and limped home with little more than hurt pride. When I got home I put her on the stand for an inspection and noticed that the rear wheel was not spinning freely and looked like that rear brake was partially applied???? Now I had just got my bike back last week after the rear brake master cylinder was replaced and a new chain and sprockets fitted and I have to admit I had noticed she seemed to de-cellerate quicker than before. Now am I justified in feeling that this is possibly the reason for my off? I am, taking it back on monday and will be insisting that they explain and repair. Advice would be appreciated.

2. Is the drag even through a whole rotation of the wheel, or ar there tight spots? Is the chain tension correct? Is the wheel aligned correctly?
    Did the front or rear wheel slide out when you came off?
  3. Tight through the whole rotation, wheels fine and aligned, chain tension good. Felt like the rear went first however it was so quick I can't be certain.

I took it back to the shop and explained what had happened. They felt the drag was acceptable, however on inspection discovered that the outside brake pad was only half engaging the disk and the inside one was fully engaging the disk, which they rectified. In whole the inspection and fix took about an hour, no charge.

Been around the offending corner since without incident which has boosted my confidence in the bike and my ability