Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Bike Stands...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by YammyChick, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I'm seriously thinking of getting a rear stand for my R6 but am worried about dropping my bike while trying to stand it up.

I'm vertically challenged - 5'3" but reasonalby strong for my size or lack there of!

Would anyone out there have any tips for me on standing the bike up on my own to help my decision in getting one? :shock: :)
  2. Easy! Get a good looking, hunky guy to come over and help!! :D
  3. Nice suggestion!! Any offers? :D :D
  4. will one out of three do?

i am male after all :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Which one are nominating for mate?
  6. :roll: :roll: :roll:
  7. YC...

I never put my R1 on it's stand without help (I only use it for maintenance).....Too many risks doing it alone (going blind to begin with! ;) )...

BTW - 5'3"....Same height as my missus....and we are thinking of an R6 for her next bike....Have you had yours lowered (if so, how much?)? Do you have any issues touching the ground when you need to?

8. i find I can do most regular maintenance with just the side stand (eg lube chain etc) but it would make life easier to have a rear stand for cleaning as well as mechanical purposes.

As well as putting on track day slicks (if I had any) ! :)
  9. damn missed that last line but did you miss the location Cairns QLD line?
  10. One of the instructors at the MTA said that it's more to do with technique rather than brute strength to get a bike onto a centre stand. The theory goes that it's more to do with the force in the leg and foot by stepping down onto the stand than upper body strength.
  11. just get one, their not hard to put them up.... its all in the technique. you should be fine and makes maintenance alot easier and its safer on a rear stand to!

12. Ok, I'll bite....... - I'm free on Wed......! :p
  13. My fiancee has a rear stand for his FZR600. Generally requires two people to assist getting it onto the stand. Mainly because of uneven ground and as it uses the L-Shape brackets, you need to make sure that you don't hit the rear sprocket but still have enough ground clearance that the back wheel is off the ground.

He suggests placing a block of concrete in front of the front wheel when taking it off, so it doesn't roll forward. (it also helps that he has a rack on the back, that you can use to lean the bike onto the sidestand while moving the stand clear)
  14. its money well spent, had mine for 5years
  15. Thanks all for your help.

jdm, I don't have too much trouble with the height. I have the suspension at it lowest setting, other than that she's great, although I do get laughed at coz I'm at traffic lights on my toes! Awesome bike though!

Micheal A.. thanks for your offer.. gotta travel far? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  16. The stands don't require any real physical strength. Just need to make sure the bike is sitting up straight. Much easier if you have a rack or grab rail you can hold so steady the bike, otherwise just one person on each side so it don't fall over.
  17. hmmm found my chain needed tensioning yesdy, no track stand.......

so i grabbed some besser blocks. and being the brute i am i could pick the bike up by the back and kick the bessys under. 8)

cheaper than $150, but i definetly wont be doing it again i think.

2 besser blocks = $5 :D :wink:
  18. just went out and spent $150 on a micron rear paddock stand. best money i ever spent. a LOT easier than two besser blocks. lol
  19. Definately gonna get one, although the cheapest one I can find here is $195.00.

Surely just because I'm up north it wouldn't add another $50.00 to it?

May have to get one shipped from down south and bribe a mate to come over every time I want to put the bike on the stand!

Thanks again all. :D