Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Really new rider question ...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by krh998, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Hi there
    I've been lurking on netrider for a while now and as a, soon to be, new rider it's been great reading while waiting for RiderSafe course date to come up. I want to do that before buying a bike - I'm looking at the yamaha xvs250 to start. Even though in SA I could go to a 600, I think I want to get more confidence riding (especially as I'll be commuting 40 mins to work) before being tempted by what a bigger bike can offer. :grin:

So as to being a new rider - it's all in my head at this stage!

But I was wondering if anyone in Adelaide could point me in the direction of advanced rider courses etc other than what RiderSafe offer.

2. There is an Adelaide company who runs courses out at Malalla I think it is. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but check out the scooter threads for riding instruction - that was where I saw the link first and I saw they do a fair few decent looking courses for bikes :)

Other than that, welcome to the vocal group ;)
  3. if you're getting a cruiser and you're planning on commuting anywhere that has a 100km/h speed limit you should defiantly consider something bigger than a 250, a bigger cruised won't be so fast as to scare you and you won't outgrow it as quickly.

good luck in the shopping.
  4. Agreed about cruisers which are bigger than 250. I've ridden a xvs-650 custom and it's really not scary at all - it's just the big brother to the 250. Sure, it's a bit bigger, but it's not scary power-wise. (was the second bike I rode after my vtr250 - only reason I don't really like it is cos of the cruiser style .. everything else is really easy to get used to :) )
  5. Other than cornering schools and other more 'racetrack oriented' courses, SA doesnt offer ANY advanced riding, as far as Im aware.

I tried to find one and had to give up. In the end I found reading online articles and books like "twist of the wrist" 1 and 2 by Kieth Code to be useful.

Maybe the 300 odd bucks you have to shell out for Ridersafe means you get better training than when I did it at $80 a pop? Doubt it though... shiesty government... :evil:
  6. make sure you get a bike with 2 disk breaks on the front wheel.

if i had 2 on my 250 i would have 2 feet today.
  7. Stay Upright do some advanced courses in SA.

But don't appear to have any running this year :(
  8. Thanks everyone :grin:

I was just looking at the StayUpright web site (after reading many an interesting scooter topic to find the name!) just now and saw that there's nothing happening in SA so far. I'll keep an eye on it.

And now, you've got me thinking about the 250 v's 650. From the specs on the Yamaha site:

Suspension Front 41mm Telescopic fork; 139mm travel
    Tyres Front 100/90-19
    Brakes Front 298mm disc

Suspension Front Telescopic fork, 140mm travel
    Tyres Front 80/100-18M/C 47P
    Brakes Front 282mm disc

Do you know if either of these has twin front brakes?

Also, do you think that the longer 650 would make much difference when learning?

9. RoadCraft Plus is the place I was thinking of. They're Adelaide based but it looks like they've not paid their hosting fees or something ;) www.roadcraftplus.com.au

From what I read a while back, they don't do track focussed stuff, they just do it at the track if that makes sense.

Also, I don't think the length of the 650 will hinder you a whole lot. If I could confidently ride with a cruiser posture, I'd be happy learning on my partner's XVS650. As for whether it has two disc brakes at the front I can't be sure off the top of my head, sorry. (It's currently being loaned to my brother)
  10. I know 2 females with different Yamaha 650 cruisers and if it was me Id go with the one with the narrower front wheel. Dont bother with a 250 if you are buying a cruiser.
  11. Hi,

I'm just looking at a VTR250, which only has 1 disc on the front, and was wondering how 2 would make any diff?? So now you got me thinking if I really do need 2!!
  12. The XVS250 and XVS650 both have single discs at the front. That still provides pretty good stopping power.

As Baca says, dont bother with the 250 if you can afford the 650.
  13. I'm able to do stoppies, and have the rear end lifting on brakes on a VTR250 with one disk.. 2 disks wouldn't stop me any faster.

On a bigger bike with more weight to pull up the second disk might help, but not something as light as a 250 (unless you're a really fat bastard).. :p
  14. My Buell has one disc on the front and that stops quick.
    And its not an XB with the huge diameter disc either.
  15. If you're looking at getting some advanced rider training, give Mary Lou a call at the Garage in Strath. Do the L1 & L2 courses through Ridersafe first though. If you apply the basic techniques from teh course to your riding that will keep you amused for 12 months anyway IMO.

This will give you a good foundation for further improving your riding skills and knowing what you want to improve in. I mean, why do you think you need advanced rider training if you haven't done your L1/2 yet?

re 1 vs 2 disc's for general street riding either should give you ample stopping power. An upgrade in pads, or stainless steel lines will further improve things, but most of all technique will make the biggest difference.

Great to read another rider joining our ranks in SA. See you in the hills.
  16. Say what??! :shock:
  17. RoadSkills use to do Advanced Rider training at Malalla. They are a SA based company too.