Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Really close shaves

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sir Skuffy, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Matt232 mentioned something that got me thinking.... Yes, rare I know.

How many of us skirt the white line on the twisties? You know those right handers where your tyres are close to the white line but your body is hanging over the white line?

Anyways, close calls..... There have been countless times when I have cruised around a right hander to realise that a car was closer to the white line than I'd imagined forcing me to slightly stand the bike up, apply gentle braking and then tip in again.

So, how many of you have almost lost your head in a situation like that.
  2. Plenty of times haha!

I nearly noggined a rearview mirror on my left-hand side too, on that long left-hand overtake coming up the hill near the border on the way home from Merimbula with you guys... I could almost see my own reflection in it!
  3. Whos fault is that pretty boy?
  4. Mine, mine... I had to gaze upon my beauty one more time... Forgive me, I'm only human...
  5. finding myself doing this more and more.... might as well use as much of my lane as i can
  6. It's worth remembering that hanging out over the lane markings is every bit as dangerous and illegal as crossing the line with your tyres, and the coppers are well within their limits to book you for it.

So I guess do it remembering that it's a calculated risk, and never at 100% 'cause you're heading for a "wish I brought the brown jocks" moment if you don't have a margin for error and a bus pops out coming the other way. You don't want your helmet knocked off with your head still in it.

Oh, and sitting on the middle lane line in a right-hander is also the worst place to be on the road as far as visibility round the corner goes, too. So maybe flirt with it at your apex but never go into a tight right-hander from that spot.
  7. good point loz should of stated that i only do it on corners i can actually see through
  8. I'll stay out to the left wheel track for as long as I can. My helmet's expensive and I'm paranoid about hitting a car coming the other way around a blind corner.
  9. Hey Loz,

I was not aware it was illegal to hang the body over the line?

I had a conversation with a police officer from a special motorcycle unit and this was brought up in conversation. He did not state it ws illegal, just as lane splitting is not illegal. But, he did say the officer can site you for it but it will most probably be thrown out of court.

Either way, still a risky move
  10. I'm more worried about being collected by riders coming the other way who've 'over-cooked' it than I am about cars.
  11. Skuff, I've heard of people being booked for it in VIC. One got off after a very polite conversation with the officer involved, the other one didn't but didn't contest it in court, preferring to bellyache about it for months instead.

Either way I reckon from a legal standpoint it's fair enough, if you're driving a large vehicle the other way and a bike comes flying around towards you at full lean with everything but the contact patch in YOUR lane, you're gonna crap yourself, possibly do a dangerous mid-corner swerve and even if an accident IS avoided, you'll still go home muttering to yourself about what feckin' maniacs motorcyclists are... Which sounds like a good basis for a law to me.
  12. I find I have enough close shaves with cars running wide. There's no need to sick your head over just for some excitement. :LOL: Seems to happen most often between St Andrews and Kinglake. :?
  13. Had this happen twice on the road up Mt Dandenong on Sunday, my fault both times.
    Just seemed transfixed on the white lines, soon as I'd go into a right hander my head would be sticking out into the oncoming lane....
    Go into a left hander, and those signs that said 'Trees close to Road: 10KM' started to mean something. It was an off day, entry speeds were wrong, corner line was wrong and gear selections were wrong. Correcting those when a car came around towards me in 0.000001 of a second was spot on though.
  14. This is a common problem for riders which stems back to why most riders prefer lefthand corners over right.

Most riders will turn in too early on a righthand corner and end up riding or hugging the whiteline.

Of course once youve turned in and holding your line, you really dont want to let yourself run wide mid corner, that is untill your force to by an oncoming car.

My belief as to why this happens on righthand corners comes back to our basic fear of running wide and off the edge of the road, approach any righthander in the left wheel track and ask yourself how it feels when you near the point you wish to turn in from.......... i beleave this is why most riders move to the centre of the road , or turn too quickly before they are into the corner.

my 2 cents

Cheers ratty

p.s. as for a close shave , yeah 3 months back in the black spur, i was holding a nice line, head on my side of the white line, was forced to stand the bike up mid corner and pull it back down when a flat tray ute came around the corner with about 1 third or more of his truck in my lane, WAS NOT IMPRESSED
  15. I wonder what the stats are for someone actually getting hit in this scenario? Near misses often seem nearer than they really are, but starting out to the far left of the lane before crossing to the apex limits the time near the middle. And, yes, I've had it happen too, scary......
  16. This is why many riders in this thread should do the Yarra Ranges Instructed Ride with HART. They go over and over lane-positioning so you don't put yourself at that kind of risk - what's the harm in staying wide until you can see the end of the corner? You're still getting it just as far over, but not placing yourself at as much of a risk. The road isn't a racetrack, so the extra 1/1000th of a second you lose for not cutting in earlier isn't really worth worrying about. :p

The only problem with right handers has been highlighted by Ratbag - most of us are scared of the edge of the road. There are a number of reasons (gravel/tree litter, off camber, poor edging) but not good enough reasons to put yourself at risk by riding the centreline around a blind corner.

I'm not claiming to be a saint though, I've done the same thing quite a few times. I try to avoid it these days. :)
  17. Old mate I hadn't seen for years got cleaned up this way, and it happens form time to time on the GOR.
  18. That reminds me of a close call along the GOR .... 4wd straddling the white line around a blind bend. I'm glad i was thinking straight and kept way over to the left around that turn ... had inches to spare ... feels good when you do something right which ends up saving you a lot of potential grief ... :D
  19. On Friday, being hit by another bike while being passed at Phillip Island near the Hayshed setting up for the right hander before Lukey Heights. Got hit on the left side while doing at least 140 (couldn't tell as the speedo on the bike was disabled in the Superbike school). Net result, my bike got very unsettled, couldn't make turn 8, went for a 80-100 metre excursion in the grass/mud and somehow managed to bring the bike back onto the track in one piece. Sphincter gripping and steering must have kicked in. Also, not grabbing the brakes probably helped as well.