Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Real Shock leaking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by patR1, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Rear Shock leaking

HI just looking for some advice , i own a xr400r 2005, and been with the bike to hell and back i mean this workhorse been in some tough terrain rock climeing were even KTM ‘s could not make it - belive it or not.
    Anyway got holidays in a week and wanted to bring my good old Honda xr to life; predicting i got a leaking valves/head gasket as its not making the power as it used too. Or maybe a dirty carb which needs a clean too!
    from 5 years of punishment many parts are taking itheir fate, recently saw very fine oil leaking traced it to the rear shock absorber...
    I rebuild engines before but never touch suspension so its black magic , so need some help.
    Now i understand fo r a full service (regassing) with nitrogen a pro needs to do that as special tools are needed.
    But in my case looks like the O-ring/seal leaking...
    1. Question is , can this seal and refill of new oil on the shock be done easily - or do you need special tools to compress the spring or to compress the piston?
    2.otherwise if i got a pro to do a full service (oil change seal and nitogen re-gas) how much roughly am i looking it at $?

3. for future reference if a head gasket will be replaced what is the best way to clean the old gasket surface? I want it to be 100% sealed no leaks!
    Is a 600-800 grid paper enough or is it a must to get it shaved?but dosnt this lower the compression? If thats the case a shave is not for me as i don’t want to upset the squish level , anyway how much does a shave cost or a mill or whatever it is called to machine the surface before gasket application ?

Appreciate the help..
  2. 1. yes it's easy of you know what you're doing and have the correct tools. though given how well you seem to follow instruction i strongly recommend you don't try anything more complex than putting the key in the ignition. i couldn't answer as to what's involved, i have a rather expensive habit of replacing rather than repairing suspension components

2. couldn't answer so i won't even speculate

3. there's a marvellous tool called a gasket scraper which looks suspiciously like a blunt chisel. i've also been known to use a stanley knife blade, but you risk scoring the surface on softer metals.

4. why would you shave/mill it? is the deck warped?
    no, it raises compression
  3. That must have come as a real shock to you Pat!
  4. :rofl:

hope you're not riding it on the roads, pat...
  5. *queue groaning audience*
  6. ye ye ye gasket scraper, knife , paint stripper thought there are better ways..... and one deep blade scratch combined with today’s Chinese gaskets = nice oil leak on first ride.

lol i better make a new membership and start fresh ! ;-)
  7. no risk of a deep scratch if you do it right. if you're gonna use a knife, make sure it's brand new
    if the blade is burred, i guarantee you'll gouge the deck. if it's blunt, you'll need to go over it a few times introducing more risk of gouging.
    the other side of the argument is if the deck is TOO smooth, the gasket will move.
    there are options when it comes to gaskets, which don't involve something mass-produced from baking paper. easiest is to shop around and find someone who supplies the true gaskets, but that may well be easier said than done. the other option which is MUCH more involved is to buy some gasket paper and cut your own. but to do that you need a complete gasket to use as a template (even if it's stuffed - you only need the shape and coolant passages)
  8. I make all my own gaskets at work, its pretty straight forward. Recommend you get a high quality piece of steel for cutting it though, will make blunt any knife quite quickly.
    If you follow this path, also make sure you get enough for a few goes at it. Cheap enough.
  9. How much is a second hand one going to be from a wreckers?
  10. From the heading, I thought this was going to be a post about pissing on an electric fence or something.
  11. Haha, there are still plenty of mechanics out there who keep a couple spare cereal boxes for cutting out gaskets.....

I'm no mechanic but years ago had a car with a leak in the thermo housing the middle of nowhere on a weekend and everything shut for miles , yep used cereal box we had taken on the trip to cut one out that did the job and actually never got changed.... worked a treat.
  12. yeah but before i get to the gasket change, i decided to take the engine out.
    now got a problem with the swing arm bolt, it is just stuck used a heat gun, had engine running to expend the engine casing, ice water running through the bolt nothing did not move, on my last hit slipped and smashed my clutch casing! ****..... im pissed,
    apparently this is a common problem and saw a redneck cut through the swingarm to get the bolt out. Def not taking that path but will try a 10Ton press next week...

anyone have any other ideas??

here is a link how they do it in the US

13. if it takes THAT much effort to get the damn bolt out, maybe you should just leave it in
  14. yeah that was my old mans tip as well ... now i need to rethread the bolt as 1-2 spines dont looks so good and cant get the nut on.
    dont know what made me try to take it out , just made more work for nothing.
    need new clutch cover, rethread tool and already 2 days wasted for nothing.