Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Read my spark plug

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by vicj0r, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Looks fine to me, but I'm new to the mechanical game so I woudn't mind a second opinion.

From my 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM thats done 2500kms.

Anyone else who is a mechanical noob should consider a DRZSM - learning stuff on this bike is not too challenging (its just a bigger BMX really). I'm starting with maintinence but looking forward to doing light mods one day.

2. Looks reasonable, no deposits or wear etc. Not burnt from running lean or carbonned up/ oily from running rich. If you google sparkplug diagnosis you'll find a fair bit of stuff on reading plugs.
  3. Being black is really just fuel. Its hard to see if its burning where the spark makes it contacts in the pic. Generally when a plug is worn you can see clearly on the tip where its worn from sparking. But being only 2500k's old i wouldnt assume there should be any wear. Quite possibly the fuel mixture is a bit out of whack or you just aint riding it hard enough.. :grin:
  4. Thanks for the early replies guys.

Yeah sometimes the rides when I commute are pretty short ... I doubt the engine gets time to heat up much ... it seems to take a long time heating up and feeling like the engine is hot to go.

Not sure what I can do about that.

As for not giving it any ... I ride WOT a lot more than I thought I would :)
  5. It's a little grey but on teh rich side, I'd be happy with that plug.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. yahuh... if you hold it vertical... the bit under the bit that sticks out (for want of a better phrase), should be flat or close to aswell.. when they start getting round they start getting crap.
  7. Yep, I'm with the others, looks okay.
  8. i can clearly read an A, P, A and possibly an N or M :LOL:

mostly agree with others, but cant see all the detail.

when i pulled mine a month or so ago i used this site as a guide to reading spark, ignition etc.
  9. it looks fine, but for 6 bucks and the fact youve pulled it out just replace it anyway.
  10. a spark plug is like the black box recorder for your motor.

learned eyes can tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the internals of your motor via "reading" the plug.

the OP was refering to the condition of the motor by reading the plug as opposed to the condition of the plug itself ;)
  11. I'd be honoured to pull such a plug from my engine.