Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Rea doubles the Island

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by NetriderBot, Feb 28, 2016.

1. World champion and honorary local, Brit Johnny Rea (Kawasaki), has won the opening two rounds of the Superbike World Championship at Phillip Island, the opening round of the year.

Riding the new ZX-10R, Rea was always strong, although his team-mate Tom Sykes qualified on pole.

Michael van der Mark is second overall, scoring 36 points in Australia to Rea’s 50, giving Honda a good result from thee round, especially given former GP champ Nicky Hayden scored a fourth place finish in race 2 in his first weekend on a Superbike in ages.

Rea rode consistently and smoothly to take his wins, unlike some of his competitors. Sykes led most of race two until running wide at the hairpin, and Chaz Davies crashed attempting an overtake on the last lap.

Van der Mark said, “It’s an amazing way to start the season. I led the race for a couple of laps. On the last lap I wanted to attack Johnny but I made a small mistake.”

Rea was very happy, stopping too celebrate with fans on the cool-down lap after each race. “Incredible to start the year with the double. I just ,add my race and tried to stay composed.”

Rea scored double wins five times in 2015, but not at Phillip Island. Could he be even stronger in 2016?

Aussie Josh Brookes (BMW) scored ten ten results in both races in his first ride on the machine.

Continue reading...