Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

re-using new engine oil

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by vintec, Oct 3, 2010.

1. i poured in about 2.1L of engine oil into my vtr 250 along with oil filter change, as mentioned in the owner's manual but it was too much when i level the bike. so i decided to hold on to the bike level, keeping an eye on the engine oil window and unscrewing the drain bolt.

i couldn't screw back the drain bolt on time and drain almost all of the new engine oil back into the engine oil bottle that i just cut a hole.

now i've paid more attention and top up the oil carefully but i'm not sure whether it's a good idea to start the engine. i've kept my garage as clean as possible, wipe the engine oil bottle clean before cutting and always wipe my hands clean so i'm sure the salvaged oil is clean but i'm paranoid to start the engine now.

i've done so many oil change on cars but this turns out to be the biggest c0ck up in changing engine oil ](*,)
  2. 2.1 ltrs of oil in is correct, it will look overfull until after you start the bike so it can fill the oil filter.

If you have the right level now, it will be low after your 1st start !

As long as everything was as clean as possible you shouldn't have a problem with what you have done .

3. thanks bob. too bad i can see specs of dust in the bottle after reading your post, so it's definitely gone. i'll have to get a new bottle tomorrow
  4. I wouldn't be bothered about specs of dust, your filter should take care of that.
  5. Just make sure there are no chunks of metal and other nasty goobits before ya chuck it it again, but it should be alright.
  6. oil filter will take of it
  7. that was my last 2L of oil, probably less since I wasted quite a bit even though i managed to salvage most so i thought might as well get new oil

bugger, can't believe i could screw up oil changing so badly =/ oh well, another lesson learnt