Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RE to R (QLD)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Chrisco7689, Nov 9, 2008.

1. this may not be the correct thread plz move if so

i am due to upgrade from my RE on december 18th to a R licence i have heard rumours that its possible to do some Rider Training on a larger capacity motorbike while still on RE licence with and acredited Trainer

in dumb words.. doing lessons on a R type bike while still on RE licence, with a qualified trainer.

is this true.. would make my life easyier..

cheers
    Chrisco

2. Enrol in Q-Ride with your local accredited provider...you will get a green vest with BIG L on the back, an R-capacity bike, several hours of supervised riding/training and at the end of the day your R license.
    Give them a ring for more details...

3. I did Qride on an R class bike before i was eligible to upgrade. You'll have to talk to the individual provider to make sure they allow it. I'm fairly sure it is legal to ride an R class bike on the RE license. All you need is to be accompanied by someone qualified to "teach" and have an L plate flying proudly off the mudguard. I racked up 1200 kms on my SV as a "learner".

4. thanks guys but i should mention i am not on an open drivers licence yet still on my P's for another 7 months

while that have anything to do with it?

5. The only requirement mentioned in the "You keys to driving in Queensland" (free downloadable from www.transport.qld.gov.au) is:
    Apparently there is no difference if you hold open or provisional one...

6. Michael.. it's not. I spoke to a few people and checked the website. I wnated to do teh same thing but yeah. To upgrade and ride a R bike while on RE. you have to have held your RE's for a 1 year first.

"Get started—you need to hold a class RE learner licence to learn to ride a class RE motorbike, or a class RE provisional or open licence for at least one year to learn to ride a class R motorbike."

I'm not trying to criticize you... but I just want to clear this up :)

7. i rang up a few trainers and all said at least a year before my ass meets 250 cc+ so thanks anyway guys plz lock

chrisco

8. Sorry, i forgot the new rules have come in. Disregard what i said, i have no idea about the new rules.

9. In a few days a friend of mine will have had her RE licence for a year. She's booked into do her open R licence on the 30th. I wanted to give her some practice on her own bike. She bought (stole really) a Hornet 900 and it seemed like a good idea to give her a few laps of a quiet industrial estate ahead of the Q-Ride assessment, which I think she'll do on an F650.

It seems I could supervise her doing some practice on her current 250 but I can't see anywhere that I would be allowed in the current over-250 situation. You can imagine how she feels with a 1000km-old Hornet sitting in the garage next to a CBF250! It seems to me that the lack of opportunity to get some familiarity on a larger bike adds to the pressure on the test day, particularly in things like hill starts and low speed work.

What a cool bike the Hornet is. Keep it under 3000rpm and they're just about perfect as a transition bike, and then add a few more revs as skills develop...

10. I've got a similar question for you all.
    Im currently on my RE license. Now i have to keep this for a year before i can get my R license. So that year is up approx march next year. Do i, automatically "progress" to this? Do i just go to QLD transport and they will print me out a new license with the changed conditions? i dont have to take any further tests or anything do i?

11. After a year you have to retake the test but on a bigger machine. I'm due to upgrade in March also. Can't wait.. I've ridden several big bore machines around Nebo / Glorious (illegal i know oops) I'm hooked. I'm defs going back to ProHonda.. gonna be a balllllllllllll.

In a few days a friend of mine will have had her RE licence for a year. She's booked into do her open R licence on the 30th. I wanted to give her some practice on her own bike. She bought (stole really) a Hornet 900 and it seemed like a good idea to give her a few laps of a quiet industrial estate ahead of the Q-Ride assessment, which I think she'll do on an F650.

Not that I should recommend someone to ride a bigger bike while on their restrictions (I'm very guilty of doing so :eek:). But you could try find a very quiet spot that your friend of yours can practice slow speed stuff.

Although I'm a rider noob I guess.. I hope that answers some questions :)

12. That's shit. So ive got to spend another $300 just to prove i can do a few easy maneuvers on a bigger bike. Not like its any harder to ride in a circle or e-brake just coz ur engines a lil bit bigger. What a waste of time/money. You would think theres an easier way... :S

13. Do you seriously believe that it's as easy to do a feet-up u-turn on a 220-250kg motorcycle as it is on your 145kg motorcycle? Or a figure of eight? Even a hill start? And the test includes a decent road ride to see if you know how to set the bike up for, and actually execute, a corner.

This is about confirming that you've learned something in 12 months on your 250; many riders actually haven't gone very far, literally or technically. For others it's easy because they've kept on listening and learning. I'd be expecting someone asking to be given free rein to buy whatever horsepower they want to be ready to demonstrate they can handle it. Yet you'd just tick that box?

14. Have you ridden a bigger bike before?

+1 with what Bumbelbeeman1150 said

15. Call Qld Transport and ask if you are able to do a test - same as they do with cars - to upgrade your license. I think you can still do that in regional areas where there is no Q Ride available.

I was going to upgrade this month, but having a (suprise!) baby has put that on the backburner. Still interested to see how you go upgrading Chris

16. Yeh i've ridden a few. Not particularly any harder on a big bike in my opinion. Certainly won't be any harder on a crappy gs500 that i would b e riding at the q-ride provider.

17. Then you'll know everything there is to know. Piece of piss. Seems unfair they get to charge you so much money.

18. There's definately a place for it, as much as it's paying 250 bucks just to use their bike and ride around for a day, I'd consider it a proper training course not just a pissweak way to get a big license. I recently did the single day R course, and not having a bigger bike to ride then myself I found it a great way to go. Having 15 months between doing my RE's on q-ride and then doing the assessment day again on a big bike, the main thing I got out of it was from the theory components - I think it's good to have those skills reinforced regularly and going again made me realise how complacent I'd gotten on the roads just in the time I'd been riding 250's.

• Like Like x 1
  19. [/quote]
    There's definately a place for it, as much as it's paying 250 bucks just to use their bike and ride around for a day, I'd consider it a proper training course not just a pissweak way to get a big license. I recently did the single day R course, and not having a bigger bike to ride then myself I found it a great way to go. Having 15 months between doing my RE's on q-ride and then doing the assessment day again on a big bike, the main thing I got out of it was from the theory components - I think it's good to have those skills reinforced regularly and going again made me realise how complacent I'd gotten on the roads just in the time I'd been riding 250's.[/quote]

+1

i think we should be doing our licenses as far apart as we can (within reason of course) i did almost exactly the same as roy. about 18 months before going for the 'r' licence, and used their bike. but i found the theory rehashing so good. sharpened up my everyday riding cause i was aware again of the little things i was doing wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  20. While on the subject of QLD licensing, what kind of trouble can one expect to get into if you get "caught" riding an R class bike on your RE license?

Short story:
    Wednesday night, my father was assaulted(the piece of shit punched my mum in the mouth too, when she tried to break it up), my Toyota MR2 and my girlfriend's Suzi Swift were damaged, my/my parent's house was set on fire, my brothers bike( GSX250f across) was burnt to the ground and my bike(bandit 250) was also severly burnt - id say a write off, not worth repairing.

House will be repaired under insurance, my girlfriends car will be as well. But my car, my bike and my brothers bike were uninsured. So right now i'm pretty pissed off. Before you tell me "blah blah blah you should have had insurance." The con's - cost of both the premiums, and the excess's given my age and vehicles, greatly outweighed the pro's. Not affordable.

Well ive only got a few months to go till i'm eligible for my R license. I really could not be bothered trying to track down another good 250 to buy and then only keep it for a couple of months and have to sell it again.

So "f**K it" i thought, i really want another bike as riding its one of the few things i get enjoyment out of at the moment. So i've been considering purchasing something along the lines of an SV650, a modest upgrade to tide me over for a while. I really wanted to get a new daytona 675, but its out of my price range now.

So:
    That brings me back to my original question, I would be keeping a low profile and only riding it on the weekends for a bit of fun - hopefully staying out of trouble. What are the consequences for riding the bigger bike on an RE license?

cheers,