Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Re: Slipper clutches and quickshifters

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Weasel, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Hey there folks,

This is probably going to sound like a typical noob question, but can someone please explain to me in layman's terms how slipper clutches work?

Similarly, can someone also please explain to me how quickshifters work?

"There's nothing like the synergy between rider and bike...."
  2. Depends on the slipper clutch as to how it works, but the general effect of 'what it does' remains the same. A secondary spring/s releases pressure on the plates under back torque.

Quickshifter, again, there's several different types, and the method of activating the quick shifter is different, but all the ones I know of then cut the ignition momentarily allowing a brief moment with the transmission unloaded where the gear slips in.

FWIW, neither are really any use on a street bike.
  3. A quickshifter's definately a racebike thing, but when you're really smoking out in the twisties a slipper clutch can come in handy.

Weasel, effectively the slipper clutch allows the clutch to slip when the engine braking reaches a certain strength. So the rear wheel never locks up under engine braking - which usually only happens when you're downshifting one or two gears at high revs preparing for a corner, so you really don't want your back wheel sliding from side to side.
  4. You can most certainly still induce a slide with a slipper clutch. You've just gotta be enthusiastic with the front brake and lean angle. It isn't a fix-it-all upgrade, just lets you take your mind off having to slip the clutch manually. I still blip the throttle with my slipper when being smooth is paramount to a corner entry.
  5. The slipper clutch on the T is hysterically funny and allows lots of silliness. Coming into cornder, 4th gear, hard and quick, select 2nd and dump clutch. Back wheel doesn't lock, stays on the ground and leaves nice line on corner entry (the wheel doesn't free wheel, just doesn't lock).

When I first go the Tuono I was still wary of the compression lockups into corners and wasn't riding the bike hard and was using lots of clutch to manage rear wheel speed. I did a track day at PI and learned that a slipper clutch is a good thing to have. I was used to lockups and skipping on the Fireblade into Honda and MG. With the Tuono it took me a couple of laps to work out that the bike wasn't chattering at all into the corners and was smooth as. This required a little more front brake, but was easily learned. Since then, I no longer worry about it and have learned to appreciate how it helps. At least on a high revving twin it's worth it.
  6. Trust me, I love my slipper clutch despite having learnt how to back it in manually slipping the clutch. Perhaps I'm out of touch with how some of you guys ride on the road. :LOL:

Fair call, and I retract said comment. ;)
  7. My Duc has a variation of a slipper clutch and I've appreciated it on the occasions when I've accidently dropped too many gears without being punished by a rear end lock-up. While the best solution is to not stuff up gear changes, it's a nice safety net for newbies like me.
  8. No, I'm just an idiot...I have a partner in crime, one Mr Scumbag who has taught me all sorts of bad things. I used to be so nice... :grin:
  9. Thanks a million for this guys - you've enlightened me considerably!

"WARNING: Motorcycling is addictive!"
  10. Hi all,

On the subject of slipper clutches how does this effect engine braking?

I personally use a lot of engine braking around town and I wonder how a slipper clutch would go under engine braking.
  11. Most are adjustable. I can set mine to feel like a 2 stroke, or with enough back torque to still be able to slide the rear without even transferring weight forward. It does stop the rear chattering though even when you do drop it down 3 gears and dump the clutch.

To be honest, unless you're riding aggressively, you wouldnt even know you've got a slipper in. Learn how to use your "slipper finger" and get you blipping down pat. They're still skills you need, slipper or no slipper.

IMHO as usual.
  12. a slipper clutch would be nice..

Not sure if its my agressive riding style but I always seem to lock up the back wheel. Or maybe its cause I actually use the rear brake at the same time.. :\
  13. If you're locking the rear wheel when you don't want to be, it's called clumsy. You can do absolutely everything a slipper does with one finger on your left hand.
  14. not clumsy more like lazy :p

I find a nice big blip from 2nd to 1st helps resolve these things again I think its the engine braking along with "the usual" amount of rear brake that causes it to lock up. I would change my riding style but locking up the back wheel isnt too much of a hassal with the riding I do (around town).
  15. ^^
    the only time i am in first, is for taking off from a standstill :?
  16. Good topic, I am as some may know looking at a dirt bike that will get some motard wheels etc down the track.

I have seen a good deal on a GAS GAS 450 Enduro and that comes with a slipper clutch, anyone had experience with these in the dirt or on a motard?
  17. I've had a good look at them Matti. Really nice on paper; slipper, radial brakes (on the SM model), fuel injected, but I am yet to see any on the road or track and havent had a chance to ride one. There's ATK's, TM's and a few other semi-rare bikes always at the national rounds, but never any GG's.

You're aware that they make a factory motard?
  18. Yep Devo but I want a dirt bike 80% of the time, so start with a dirt bike.

They are running some of last years models out at $9,000 which is pretty good value. the 250 2smoke and the 450 4.
  19. One problem you might run into is that there will be no 2nd hand market for the GG for things like wheels and brakes. Something to keep in mind for the overall cost.