Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Re punctures repaired on a bike???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Brian26146, Jul 31, 2005.

1. OK. Shit happens.

Yesterday I was out for a run and as I went through Willow Grove i noticed the bike behaving slightly eratically. (No, not my riding style)

As I went further it seemed to get worse. I looked down to the front tyer but it looked ok. Anyway I went into a corner and the bike wobbled hard so I stopped. Rear tyer flat as a pancake.

Floated it home and found it has a clout tack fair in the middle.

Is it advisable to repair the tyer?

As it is tubeless, would it work with a plug?

Or do I just put a tube into it.

Do Mitchies have tubes?

Anyone with this type of experience? My 1st puncture for over 30 yrs.

2. Tubeless tyres are designed to be able to be repaired. They are nor designed to have a tube in them these days. Go ahead and get it repaired.
  3. Thankeee for advice. Will ask repairer tomorrow to remove the nail and put in a plug.

4. MAKE shoure to use a mashrum tupe patch not the rope type!!!

I have the patch and the glue so if you can whip the tyre off I can fix it for you...
  5. Another Netrider success story! "Connecting riders"
  6. I had to giggle at your post Brian, reminded me when I had my first bike nearly 10 years ago (a you-beaut CBX250 :roll: ).

I was just heading into Warragul on the freeway and noticed a definite drag...pulled over to discover the back tyre flat (only on the bottom though :D ). Rang up hubby -who was a bike mechanic at the time - to be told to push the bloody thing all the way to his brother at Warragul Bike Wreckers to be fixed! What a waste of a phone call that was....next time I will ring someone who cares! Should have just rang the BIL in the first place and he would have come and picked me up....and I still don't know whether it was a tube or tubeless, I just left it with him and went shopping :LOL:
  7. You can pick up a puncture repair kit which includes plugs and all the required stuff, as well as a 3 air cyclinders to get you to a servo. I bought one for about $40, keep it under the seat all the time.
  8. cruisingal

You will at least feel for me as to where I was when it happened. Bloody cold, spitting with rain, and no where to go. As for pushing it, I had enough trouble pushing it off the road. Would have been worse if I had got caught around Neerim I suppose.

I must say, although I know he will not see this, that I must thank a Latrobe Valley Ulyssian by the name of Tony. (Yes there are some nice Tonys) He helped me push the bike up onto the trailer. Thanks mate. He rides a red Guzzi, so if you see him around Willow Grove, nod to him.
    Anyone who has had to push a bike with a flat rear tyer will understand.

Where did you get that outfit for the tyer? Tell me, wouldn't you have to remove the tyre to put the plug in?

I was thinking of buying one of those puncture repair bottles. I have used them on trailers and cars before and although quite messy, they work ok if the hole is small.

9. Lordtb

Sorry I forgot your post.

Thanks mate but am long way from you I think and I don't think I can get tyre off anyway. Don't have tools. Probably should buy some. Haven't had a need for so long I have got complacant.

So I assume a mushroom patch goes in and expands. Is the patch covered with glue first and them pushed into the hole?

Only thing I know about patches is tubes etc and then I always used the burn type.

Thanks for info anyway

10. OK, I've got a question regarding mushroom patches and bike tyres and I'm hoping someone can answer it for me.

In a past life I managed several tyre stores (car) and the idea behind mushroom patches was that the patch part sealed the tyre and prevented air loss, while the plug (stalk on a mushy) was there to seal the hole and prevent water from entering the casing.

The idea being that if water was allowed to get into the casing and steel belting it could rust the steel belt causing the tyre to seperate, (something I saw often with tyres that had been repaired with a tube rather than a plug)

I may be entirely wrong, but I thought very few bike tyres were actually steel belted anymore(if I'm wrong someone please correct me)

If this is the case then why would we still need to do a plug type repair when a patch would do just as good a job?
  11. Hmm I'm not a tyre expert or for that metter a tyre repair expert.. I was told simply that a motorcycle tyre fixed with a any thing else but a mashroom is not road worthy...

12. I don't know about roadworthy but I've seen tyres fixed with "temporary" patches that have comfortably lasted a thousand k or more at highway speeds.

There was a GSX on the BMW Club Adelaide trip last year (contrary to popular belief we're not prejudiced :p - we'll even let Suzuki riders come along :LOL: ) that had a flat tyre and was fixed with one of the kits. The owner was a bit nervous and dropped in to have a tyre place look at it. Their comment was that it was OK and it was ok asa permanent fix. They also said that done correctlly they'd even be happy to take it on a track day...

The red Guzzi rider would be Tony Horn - I used to work with him and he's one of Martin's riding mates...

Anyway, as a GOFARC on an old bike you should be able to fix tyres with a couple of cheap tyre levers and a handful of grass... :LOL:

Geez, when I were lad all old blokes could fix tyres, rebore engines and repalce clutches by side of road with nowt but bare hands and pocket knife...... :LOL:

13. Either get it properly fixed with a plug...or stick a tube in it.
    A 130/80 section rear (or was it a 120 on the airheads?) on a bike that tops 170 or so is fine with a tube.
    Done it with the R100 in the past, never had a problem. (yep, was a '95 RT), ran it for 12.000km like that before it was due for a new hoop.
  14. AFAIK....there are VERY few non-steel belted bike tyres around (like the Metzlers 330/ 550 series, mainly designed for older BMW's/ Guzzis etc.)
    Most of them are single-wire concentrically-wound types...
    Perhaps they changed it again :? :?

I was also confused by the "mushroom-plug" until a bike-tyre guy explained that they're often "mixed up" and that there are in fact 2 types around.
    Type 1 for quick-repairs on the road. A dowel type plug that gets pushed from the outside in (and glued at the same time), the head expanding inside the tyre.
    Type 2 for more permanent repairs, the tyre has to come off the rim and a plug "with mushroom head" is used, the "stalk" of the plug sealing the hole, the "head" of the plug sealing the inner area around the hole, air-pressure driving the head against the inner face of the tyre.
    Due to a bigger "head", it's the better repair.
    My Metzeler Enduro 4 rear (steel belted...as it says on the sidewall) was plugged that way in NZ and seems to be perfectly fine, with or without full panniers/ pillion or whatever.
  15. In a hardware store in Hong Kong last week, I saw a tubeless repair kit that used a ragged looking rubber rope. Pack said you don't use glue, as it's already on the rope. Came with two hand tools - one for roughening the hole and the other had a huge needle eye on the end for inserting the rope. A bit under $AU7.00

I didn't buy it. I didn't feel comfortable being responsible for it being in the country.

If these things are available now in asia at that sort of price, it won't be long before someone starts importing them.
  16. Thanks for all the replies, real good.

Morwell Kawasaki said they would be taking the tyre off and plugging it if it was close to the centre (Which it was) otherwise they would not repair it. Interesting eh?

They quoted me $20. I said I would drop it off tonight and pick it up tomorrow night.

Well as usual shit happens and it only gets deeper.

1. Forgot the tyre job. :evil:
    2. Got to TAFE to find my website project on my CD has decided to do a bunk. Lost the cd somehwere. :evil: :evil:
    3. Some a-hole has deleted my half finished project from the My Documents folder at TAFE (At this stage I am furious) :evil: :evil: :evil:
    4. Tried to coax wife over phone to email folder from my computer at home. (Talking to a brick wall that is rendered in cement) Gave up. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    5. Went home. I am pissed off. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I will try again tomorrow and see what depth the shit is at.
    Tony, thanks for info about Tony. Hmmm seems too nice a bloke to hang around with Mj. He didnt mention him at all even though converstaion went towards that direction.

17. They already have, I bought mine from a shop in south melb years ago.
    (southside motorcycles since closed :( ) As a courier I never go anywhere with out it. BTW never had a repair fail, on my bike or anyone else's.
  18. i've used the rope and never had a problem, the puncture was just of centre and only replaced the tyre when she wore out still with the rope.
    I've also used the mushroom plug once, never again that sucka even with shyte loads of glue leaked
  19. Well, I'm a monkey's uncle.

I took the tyre into the repair shop this morning.
    I picked it up about 4 pm. The bloke said to me that the "TUBE" had been punctured by the nail.

I asked what tube? He said the one that was in it. Well there you go, I didn't know about the tube.

Repair cost $15 for new tube and balance. Good job.

So wheel will be on again tomorrow and away I go. While it is off I have done an inspection of brake pad and cleaned up the brake are and given splines a light lube. See everything happens for a reason. **Mumble mumble**