Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD RE Licence time

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by White Shadow, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Hi guys, I have a question regarding my RE licence I got my RE in February this year. I noticed the other day that when I got my new licence they put that my RE is effective from 02/09/08, does that mean that they have made a bit of a blue and I can go and get my open. Also if I had a pillion and the cops pulled me over my licence states that I have had my RE for over 4 years so it would be ok to have a pillion.
    Thanks for you input in advance.
    Azza

2. Might be best to call TMR before they hunt you down and take away your 'illegal' licence and then say it is your fault.

This message has no sources to back it up, so it could be utter bullshit. Good day.

3. What he said.
    It will always be your fault if something goes wrong.

4. Mine is the same Azza,
    I got my RE in April and it says effective 4/11/10!
    I phoned TMR last week to discuss and they informed me my license is open and I can carry a pillion and my blood alcohol limit is .05 and the only restriction is that i cant ride a bike that is not LAMS approved until 12 months have passed and i do another course.

5. I've got first hand experience on this. That date on your license does not mean that you've had your RE's since then. I'll guess that is when you got your learners.

I had the same issue. If you got your RE's in Feb this year, then it will be Feb next year until you can go for your opens or take a pillion.

H
    How does that work?

6. I am already on my opens however it is RE opens not R. So the advice was an open license allows you to carry a pillion. You just have the 12 month wait to upgrade from a LAM's bike.

7. AFAIK the "effective" date is simply the date when you last paid to renew your license. So, up to five years ago.

I'm sure the police would have access to the real date of your status change.

It also works the other way - if you need to renew your license one week before you are due to go to Q-Ride to get your R class, they won't turn you back simply because of the wrong date printed on your card. It might be a problem overseas, though (as it was for me).

8. But my boat and PWC effective dates on the same licence are when I got the actual licence, my mates licence show different effective dates for his car and bike.

9. I'm sure that someone in TMR understands why this is so, but not me. My bike class was backdated to the same date as when I last paid them $$$.

10. Do not be fooled into thinking you can somehow slip under the radar of required time to hold your RE. The TMR will go on the information you present when asking for information about when you can go for your R license. The first thing to ask when you phone the TMR is >> operator ID ... then ask them for your eligibility date to do your R. After they tell you the BS then ask them to check when your 'Competency Declaration' for your RE was submitted ... they will back peddle quicker than a Liberal politician ...

Ignorance of the law is no excuse and trying to fudge the date you are eligible to do the R will lead to tears. When you do your R Qride you will be required to sign a Declaration of Eligibility for Q-Ride Training (Form F3961) ... and a false declaration may result in prosecution not to mention making void your R Competency Declaration. You will have to do the course again which, of course, will mean paying the course fee again.

:cool:

11. Your such a kill joy Fractalz, thanks for the info I knew it was to good to be true lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Not sure this is right Mick, you need to hold your RE for a year before carrying a pillion or .05 - from the Qld TMR website

Open licence holders
    (However, if you obtain your class RE motorcycle licence, you must ride with a zero BAC in your first year of riding, regardless of your age or the type of vehicle licence you hold)

And my licence is the same date for car and bike as well.

13. Hi Rednick.

I agree totally, just quoting info given by TMR call centre!

Thought it too good to be true so went into local TMR office and asked the same question, and was told I cant carry a pillion but can have a drink....so I think I will follow what I see in writing on the website to play it safe. No drinking and no pillion.

Mick

14.  Top