Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Re-learning experience to share

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by NobbiesNuts, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Hi,

I haven't been upon a bike for some 14 years now and was/am keen to re-establish THE connection. Being oh so wise and having a most insistant Mrs. I (she) decided that I would do a refresher course. Keen to get amongst it quickly I travelled from Vic. to ACT to get the 1st available course at Stay Upright, all be it a P Plate course.

In conclusion it was delightful. Trying to get the ZX10 around the course, after not being on a bike for so long, was challenging to say the least. I lost too many points on my MOST test (Even though I wasn't required to, I gave it a go) after making a mistake on the U-Turn and exiting the arena :)

I must say, I was very nervous to start with but, Dave at Stay Upright was an outstanding instructor and re-aligned my brain with the bike and mafe the whole afair more fun.

I look forward to getting my ZX10 next weekend and getting back on the road, being more comfortable for taking the Provisional Course again. I was so impressed with stay upright that I'm going to the advanced course in a couple of months.
  2. I'd be nervous too, but more nervous riding a powerful bike after such a long time! I've heard Stay Upright courses are great, think I'll have to have a go at one.
  3. It was indeed the only reason for being nervous. When I stepped out onto the training pad THAT was the first time in 14 years on a bike. My mate, who I am buying the bike off, lives in Canberra and he delivered it direct to the training area so I never even got a pre-refresher-refresher course :)

I couldn't remember where the indicators, lights, horn or passing lights were. At least I remember the side stand, lol

And, after 8 hours and a couple of road rides under supervision with an outstanding instructor like "Uncle Dave", I rembered everything and it was like I'd never been off em