Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Re-keying an ignition barrel

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 6ixxer, Nov 11, 2008.

1. How hard is it to get an ignition re-keyed?

My last bike had the ignition screwed and replaced so then the seat lock uses a different key. Sold it before I got a chance to really look into getting them matched.

Now i'm on a bike where the ignition is dodgy (you gotta jiggle the key like crazy to get it in and out of the lock position) but this bike has 3 locks to match (ignition, fuel and cowl).

Since suzuki can't seem to supply matching locks, can anyone tell me if i get a replacement ignition, can a decent locksmith strip it down and change the pins to match the other 2 locks?

My experience with padlocks is that locksmiths can re-pin them so long as they have the original key so they can open it up. Wondering if bike ignition is the same...

2. A quality locksmith will be able to do it.
  3. sweet, so i just gotta get an ignition barrel + key from a wrecker
    (or worst case buy new)
  4. Only if the unit is unsealable some locks can be rekeyed some cant (can be with a lot of work which would make it expensive and cheaper to get all new locks )
    It might be cheaper to get the origanal fixed its most likely pins as these are the only wearing parts ,Have you put graphite powder in the lock Dont use crc or oil this gumms up the pins and often causes the problem you have Only use dry graphite powder in any lock ..If you have or suspect the lock might have had oil put in it get it cleaned by a locksmith this might fix the problem you can do it yourself but disconnect it from the electrical source first and clean it with a non-residual spray (electrical cleaner avaible at dick smiths) and let dry completely 12-24 hrs then lube with graphite powder work the powder in with the key a couple of times and see how it goes..