Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Re-conditioning a Second-hand Shock

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by momo, Nov 18, 2007.

1. I bought a second-hand rear shock absorber via eBay for the princely sum of $20, to replace a badly corroded one. Is there anything that I can or should do in terms of inspecting its condition, having it re-conditioned, or whatever?

2. What's it for?

Is it leaking oil?

Fit it and then compress it to see how it rebounds. If it has non-adjustable damping you simply watch how it returns:

- with the rider seated (or some other substantial weight on the bike) when you compress the rear and release, it should return quickly to its original position, without going higher, and without then dropping back down to the original height. This is a sign of poor damping.

- compress it, release it, but return some of your weight as the suspension rises, as if getting ready to bounce it up and down. Once again, with just a little weight on the returning seat/guard/whatever, the suspension should not rise higher and then sink down again, not even a little. That means poor damping if it does.

- keep bouncing it up and down as fast as you can - if it gradually sinks further under your efforts (and each time does not rise as far as before) the damping is too strong. This is not all that common, except with most quad bikes, for some reason...

Trevor G

PS There are good suspension rebuilders, even for non-rebuildable shocks!

PPS If it has adjustable damping then it should be adjusted within the parameters given above.
  3. VTRBob is able to recondition a shock absorber using two drinking straws (one has to be a bendy one) and a can of cat food. Won't show me how, though.
  4. hi, i am interfering in this discussion as my name is also lozerand. i am leaving in France, and you are the first one we can find till now. They are only 11 people we know having this name.
    it's unbeleavable, crasy!!!! how to get in contact?
  5. If it's cactus (do what trevor said), then it can be rebuild and tricked up for about $300.
  6. Is this guy for real? or was Cheng or someone bored and taking the piss out of you?
  7. :rofl:
    Does it matter? :LOL:
  8. hi, i m not joking, i am serious. i am leaving in France near Lyon/Annecy.
    11 people are my parents, we are 3 brothers, one have 3 children, the 2nd one is no married, my wife and our 3 children. That's all lozerand family known till now all over the world. bonjour, j'espère que vous allez tous bien. il ne s'agit pas d'une blague. je recherche effectivement toute personne qui s'appelle lozerand.
    i just speak english due to my job.

if some one know the guy called lozerand please give him this email adress: c.lozerand@infonie.fr . he can contact us any time. He is mostly welcome!! thanks to everyone.
  9. Would you like the honours of right of reply and explanation Mr Blain, or shall I? :LOL:
  10. Well my friend, you have come to the right place. My grandfather was Pierre Lozerand, and I've been told he came to Australia from France when he was very young, as he was an illegitimate child. He used to tell me that when he was a kid in France he met the man who invented the moving picture. Sadly he passed away when I was only 12.

I know nothing about the rest of the family... Perhaps you can chase up your records to see if there's any mention of him?
  11. Have those laps of PI affected your judgement, Loz?
  12. Just to get back to it, Loz is correct about VTRbob. PM him for details, then get the shock to him at Coffs Harbour. Does great work.
  13. Hi, fantastic. i have a lot of documents, and will try to find everything. In fact your grand father is a brother of my grand father. I 'll be back tonight, as 7.00am here. Can you alse send me an email?
  14. hi hi back to history! the only Pierre i hav found was living in 17th century... Recent information matching our period are. Jérôme lozerand (son of Louis)born in 1859 in Marsanne Rhône valley, married in 1896 with Louise Titard, living in burgundy, having officialy? only one child, Louis born in 1897(my grand father) having 5children , from where my father. So i thing, your grand father could be/is ? a son of Jérôme Lozerand. All our family come since that time from Burgundy, country of wine. this is all i can do for the present time considering information you gave me.
  15. I'm sticking with this thread. It's brilliant!
  16. This thread is win :LOL:

Thanks for the help everyone. I swapped out the 'new' shock for the one that was in there, and I'll test the damping tomorrow morning. When I was putting it in, I noticed that the bottom seal had deteriorated to a crumbly mess.

This is the seal that I mean, albeit on the old shock:

Should I be concerned?

Oh by the way, given that I weigh 68kg and the manual specifies that the factory suspension settings are designed for a 68kg rider, is there any performance benefit in using harder suspension settings? When I got the bike, it was set to the hardest settings, so I changed the front back to the original settings. I have yet to discover how to adjust the rear without the Kawasaki tool :p