Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Re-align front forks - how much?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by MeltingDOg, Jul 11, 2012.

1. So I had my first off this morning. Luckily nothing too dramatic, pulling up to a stop sign in the wet the front wheel slid out on a squashed aerosol can on the road. Was only travelling about 15kph so there is remarkably minimal damage to myself and the bike.

The biggest issue is the front forks are now out of alignment. To put it simply, the handle bars point one direction whilst the wheel points another. I dont think its the actual handle bar as the light and instrument cluster also seem out of alignment with the wheel.

My question is does anyone have a ball park idea of whats involved with repairing this? Is it a big issue or a small one? Could I do it myself? Approx how much would this cost?

I know its a bit of an ask without showing the damage, but I just want to get an idea of what Im in for.

2. Sorry to hear, happens so fast. With ABS you would probably not be in this situation... =P

You can do the repairs yourself.

Loosen the bolts that clamps the fork to the triple. Align. Tighten the bolts.

There is at lest one thread on this forum with pictures and all.
  3. #3 mike8863, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  4. as far as i can tell, all you need to do is loosen, do an emergency stop from about 30, tighten. At least thats what the mechanics did too my mates bike when he had an off. They did it for free in 20 seconds.
  5. What bike is it? If anything is actually bent after you'd thoroughly checked it and reinstalled the forks in the tripples, Dave Kellet down at springwood can 'realign' things.
  6. Out of interest; who is this Dave chap, what does he do, what store is he at and does he charge reasonably?
  7. So I don't want to give advice that is wrong, or damages your bike etc so I suggest to not try what I'm about to suggest before someone else agrees with this method but here goes:

After my first crash, I noticed that to ride straight my hands were in different positions with one further forward than the other, as if the bar wasn't straight. I'd notice this and move my hands so they were aligned like the normally are on the bike, and it would dip over as I had essentially started a counter steer manoeuvre by pressing on the bars.

Called my dad who mentioned that during the crash it might've twisted the forks slightly in the triple trees. He suggested that I put the front wheel against a wall and gently turn the bars slighty to realign it. Seems dodgy I know, but he said it was common on dirt and enduro bikes he rides and they often used tree stumps to realign the wheels. Anyway, it worked perfectly and now everything is back to normal with hopefully no damage caused.

A thought anyway, for you to consider.

8. This Dave chap? Well....he's Dave. He's short of words on the phone, big chat when you arrive, will take a few days as he's the only guy in Brisbane worth visiting (Yamaha and most clubbies give him racebikes to straighten), charges a reasonable amount considering the alternatives. He doesnt advertised because he's already way too busy from existing customers and word of mouth. But if you fancy calling him - Dave Kellett Motorcycle Engineers - 3/46 Randall Street Slacks Creek QLD 4127 (07) 3290 2811. I'd trust him 100x more to do the work a bike shop claims they could do. They'd prob outsource to him anyway.

Captain you shouldnt be able to twist the forks straight without undoing the appropriate bolts. It probably means the twisted in the first place because they werent done up wto the required torque.

Paraphrased from a post I just made that may be relevant
    If you noticed that when you removed the top triple clamp the forks spread apart slightly it can mean the forks arent in alignment/triples are tweaked. Loosen the axle and lower pinch bolts...put the top clamp on but loose, bouncy bouncy, do up the top clamp incl steering nut, bouncy bouncy, then do up the axle & pinchies [edit: in the right order] & it will be ok.
  9. Thanks man, is he a mechanic, or smash repairs, or both, or other, or...? I wonder what he'd be like with my bike. I just saw your sig and noticed you have an R6 and RS 125; I'm pretty much in love with you, 'cept I'm not sure why there's the ](*,) emote in the sig too! Ever taken your RS 125 to him?
  10. Seeing the AEROSOL CAN and not riding over it might avoid the situation too.
  11. Just ride up close to a power pole, with the front wheel just a little past it, turn the bars so the wheel just touches it, and then give the handlebars a reef in the direction required. Go for a little test ride, 50 metres is probably enough, and see if you've fixed it. Happens all the time on dirty bikes. Moreso on bikes with conventional (as opposed to USD) forks.
    Worst case scenario, you may have to lightly slacken the triple clamp bolts, and try again. Nip up to required torque when satisfied.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Ha ha, i hope not. I think 'other' describes his skills. I've taken my recent bikes there, after a decent crash and without fail things (forks, triples, swingarm) are bent and twisted, wheels and rotors not true. But if there's nothing wrong with the bike or you have no basis to go then I wouldn't bother, any improvement is probably imperceptible for road riding.
    The headbutt describes my relationship with the rs, I love the idea of it and keep trying to develop it and get faster but its killing me and I spend as much or more time working on it compared to the r6.
  13. FWIW, if the fiddling doesn't do the trick Nick from NICCOM engineering in Loganholme is also good. He straightened my visibly bent R1 forks (upside downs). From memory, it was a couple of hundred for straightening all fork tubes and tweaking the triple clamps as well.

I've used Dave Kellet as well for a couple of bent rims and been happy with his work. The advantage with Dave Kellet is that his "reception" is in his workshop, so you can have a good sticky at whatever he's working on at the time.

In fact, unless you're strapped for cash I'd be inclined to get one or the other to have a quick look over it anyway. It's not that hard to bend suspension components in a collision
  14. Cool. I'm not too up with what repair costs should be like but it's been suggested I get a second quote on my RS 125, and she's currently sitting in Springwood so I might see if I can take her there.
    ($1700 for indicators, fork, handlebar, brake lever, right fairing. I'll be requesting a breakdown of where the money is going. A bit unsure all the pennies towing the bike around to other places will be worth it)

Or there.
  15. No, ABS stands for Aerosol Braking System.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Was getting a bit off topic, PM sent re:fixing up your rs125.