Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rdate on tuesday!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by josh000, Jun 22, 2008.

1. I'm going to take my basic learners course on tuesday and wednesday, two half days here in adelaid. I have absolutely no riding experience what so ever, so I am hoping I will be able to pass ok, and likewise my advanced course.

I have heard it is the same license for bikes and scooters, maybe it is easier just to go for the scooter to get the license?

2. When I did my L's, having had no experience with anything but automatic cars, it took a little getting used to the clutch and not stall the bike when taking off.

The instructor saw that I was having some trouble and mentioned that if I didn't get the hang of it he'd have to get me on a scoot for the licence, so they might give you that option.

I'd definitely go with the bike though if that's what you're planning on riding, no real point doing it on the scooter if you're going to get a bike.

EDIT: I DID end up doing the test on a bike, and passing :p.
  3. cool, of course I will try on bike first, but scooter will be a good backup.

How long did you wait before going for the advanced test, and how much harder was it?

I am moving to germany soon, and don't have a car license, so scooter or motorbike license will have to suffice, as long as I cang et it in the next two weeks.
  4. Don't forget that its going to be really temperamental until it warms up. At pre-learners i ended up getting the only bike that wasn't warmed up and it stalled a couple of times at the start ( and i was very light with the clutch).
  5. What does it mean that it will be temperamental?

Will that be true for scooters as well?
  6. The course I did was over 3 days, 4 hours per day, and I also had no experience with motorbikes (or manual gearboxes).

Day 1 was all the basics, taking off from a standing start, a few corners, stayed in first gear a lot of the time but used second towards the end if I remember right.
    Day 2 was all the theory, road craft, basic maintenance, and the theory test at the end.
    Day 3 was more riding, pretty much just practicing every part of the actual test, and it finished with the test.

That was for my L's and I haven't gotten my P's yet, hopefully soon. This was all in Victoria, I'm not sure how different it would be for you.
  7. Hi Josh,

I previously looked into the possibility of going for my Level 2 Advanced test on a scooter a few years back, as I had a Kawasaki ZZR 250 at the time, which was unable to perform the tight turns required in most of the exercises in the test.

I thought I'd be a smartarse and do the five exercises required to pass the test for an R-Date licence without having to worry about clutch control. Theoretically speaking, I figured I'd then be licensed to ride any LAMS-approved motorcycle with a clutch.

However, upon contacting Ridersafe I was told that if I did the Level 2 Advanced test on a scooter I would receive approval for an R-Date licence with the stipulation that I am only licensed to ride a scooter.

So to cut a long story short, I hired a Honda CB 250 from Show 'N Go Motorcycles and went and practiced the exercises required at the Oaklands Park range and ended up passing with flying colours. I then had an R-Date licence which allowed me to ride any LAMS-approved motorcycle, with or without a clutch.

It might be worth calling Ridersafe to check.

"Serenity - Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul...."