Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RD350 - your opinions

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by mattb, May 29, 2006.

1. I was looking at a Yamaha RD350 to buy (was beaten to it!). Became intrigued by them and would look at another. However, a friend gave them a bad review ( re frame, brakes, and being a 2-stroke; though he thought it was a fun bike). I'd need it as my daily (and only, and student-budget) transport, which it seems good for in terms of nimble street fighting, and also as my one true love and thrill. Anybody got any opinions / advice on them, good or bad?

Cheers, Matt.
  2. The LC or air cooled ones? The latter are around 30 years old or 25 years for an LC.

Knew a few people had them back then and loved them - these were ar$e kicking bikes in their day with great power to weight but were not that great commuting due to the power coming in later in the rev range.

Should you find one that has been meticulously maintained, pay the premium and enjoy it - you would nearly always go close to getting your money back. But if it has been thrashed (like most of them) and not well cared for, then its electrics may be slowly corroding, you'd have to also find a good mechanic and a source for parts.

Do a search on RGV250 - one of the members (bimbo himbo something or other :wink: ) wrote a great review the other day, this is a two stroke half the age of what you are looking at and admittedly more of a racer but he did highlight some issues.

Whilst the RD350LC is a great peice of retro nostalgia, for a daily rider and only means of transport you might be better off looking for something a bit more mainstream.

Hope you are not put off, and post some pics of any on the shortlist :cool:
  3. My old man used to have a RD350 many years ago (debadged so he could ride it on L's :LOL:). Would love to own one myself but I agree with Toecutter - most are probably too old or worn out to use as reliable daily transport now. If you wanted something to restore and/or keep as a classic though then I'd say go for it.
  4. They're a lot easier to ride than an RGV250 though. The YVPS (Yamaha Power Valve System) on the LC models works really well, so they have really good low down power- and then the powerband :grin:

Also, though they will be older, and thrashed just as badly as any RGV, they are a lot simpler and cheaper to rebuild. You can probally do the regular rebuilds yourself

In short, they will be troublesome like any older sports bike, but I wouldn't be turned off if it takes your fancy. I'd rather try my luck with one than an 80's GSXR750.

Seem to be a lot of them come up on Ebay claiming full restorations http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1972-Yamaha-...44582125QQcategoryZ102690QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem