Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RC helicopters

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by simon varley, Aug 9, 2011.

1. does anyone here fly these? I got given a small coaxial 3ch toy helicopter for my birthday and I'm now hooked. I'm looking to upgrade and have a few ideas gleaned from some RC forums but wondered if anyone here had direct experience and could recommend something?

2. Before you get into 3d / 4 channel flying and single rotor. Buy a simulator!! You will be glad when you minimize the amount of rotors and bent frames you have to replace.

So my suggestion is buy the simulator, learn to fly on that. Then look at upgrading to a 3d/4ch electric with training balls. Thereafter, you can look to invest in the nitro powered 2stroke helis.

Rob

3. +1 to simulator and training balls. My friend had one and tried to fly it without the training balls and no simulator experience for the first time. Broke the main gear cog (I think that is what it's called) and one of the blades. He didn't do that again and has the training balls attached till he is confident enough...or has the spare cash to keep breaking it.

I have no experience with RC flying machiens, just an experience as a by stander...it was funny to watch, especially the shock/horror look on his face.

4. We have a little Blade co-ax 'copter at our house, and I agree they're heaps of fun on a still day.
    I recommend buying/using the training balls until you're comfortable, to save on rotors. There's also a wholesaler in Adelaide (sorry, no link) that will sell you heaps of spares cheaper than you'll find retail.
    As for spares, I recommend the following:
    - As many rotors as you can afford; you'll need them...
    - Carbon/fibre tailpiece, if applicable; stops the tail acting as a sail...
    - Aluminium heatsink, again if applicable; this keeps the motors cooler, extending flight-time...
    - Spare battery! The stock one is a cheapie, so you want a spare, charged one with you at the park...
    - Stabilizer Flybar; one should do - I bent ours during a rather heavy landing so it's nice to have...

Apart from those essentials, you can also look into replacing some of the stock parts with aluminium ones - weight comes down, as does heat, which all extends flight time...

Hmmm, this might be the place I was thinking of...
    http://www.modelflight.com.au/index.php

5. This is a good clip of a guy landing one on a wall....

6. thanks for everone's thoughts. I've managed to borrow a simulator from a guy at work and have been happily crashing all evening now.

Thinking seriously about the eFlight 120SR now as the step up.

7. #8 northerner, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    The 120SR is a great little heli - perfect for getting a proper feel for single rotor flight. Plenty of cheap spares available - mine's been through a few sets of main and tail rotors, a tail boom and a couple of other bits I think. But then again, it's been completely submerged in freshly drained motorbike engine oil, sunk in the pool and crashed more times than I care to remember - and it's still going strong!

Little vid from just after I got it here (excuse the 'playing with camera angles' stuff...)

[URL="]
    [/URL]

If you want to learn how to fly a heli then this is a great choice. I have the Pheonix flight sim as well and it's very good but flying a real heli (even a small, non-collective pitch one like the 120SR) is soooo much better in terms of learning how the heli 'feels'.

If you want to get into it I seriously recommend getting a decent transmitter with the 120SR - not the crappy thing that comes with the RTF version. I have the DX6i and it is like black and white between it and the RTF transmitter. It also means that if you 'upgrade' your heli in the future (which I have - more on that in a second) you can use the same transmitter and you are completely comfortable with it.

So. Yes I upgraded to a Gaui Hurricane 550 which I got second hand from a guy at a local club. This is a SERIOUS heli! But much better to go BIG on upgrading from the 120 size heli - bigger = more stability = easier to control. Forget going to a 400 or similar size.

Here's a little vid (just after I got it, still not very smooth) with the 120SR for comparison in my front garden.

[URL="
    ]
    [/URL]

So - in summary (!) - blade 120SR very good choice, but get yourself an 'almost ready to fly' version and add a second hand transmitter if you can.

Graham

8. sounds like this could get expensive then :)

Graham - the coax heli I've got is mode 1, and the simulator I borrowed is mode 2 )or maybe the other way round) but I really don't know what I prefer yet. Is the DX6i configurable or do I have to decide now how I want to fly?

9. No unfortunately all transmitters are hard wired to be mode 1 or 2, so you need to decide before buying. You can get them converted but you will need to send it off to do it.

I am mode 2 (throttle on the left) which seems much more natural to me.

Cheers,

Graham

10. I'm no expert here, but are you sure about that? The Tx that came with our RTF Blade was convertible...
    EDIT: It's a Spektrum LP5DSM, but I can't find the instructions online...

11. Well it's news to me! Some may well be (and clearly are) but most are 'fixed' one way or another, only convertable by sending it to the manufacturer.

Cheers,

Graham

12.  Top
  13. I have a number of helis and planes. The transmitters I have are jr dsx9 (9 channel).
    Software selectable for mode 1,2,3 or 4.

Mind you, not the elcheapo tx's either!