Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RC Helicopter Gyro (Head Holding)

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by stewy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. So the questions is does anyone here fly them, do you know how they work.

Now the reason I ask is i might of hit a hitch with the bike project, and what i need to do is i need a device that will self level itself. Ie send out an output to drive something until it has rebalanced itself.

From the reading i have been doing i believe this will work (remember i only need the out signals) then i will just wire them back into the existing circuit as so not fussed on what current draw they use pull, Booga can figure how to overcome that out down the track

So is that how they work? If someone in Melbourne does fly them, would i be able to come around and for you to give me a bit more of a explanation/demo and i can explain in further detail how i plan to use the gyro.

Any help with this would be great appreciated.

Cheers stewy

2. No RC chopper i've played with has a proper gyro, but balancing weights on the rotor assembly type things. then again, they have all been sub-300 dollar puppies :p

3.  Top
  4. Those MP3 Piaggio's are starting to look more attractive no? :)

5. They're piezo electric gyroscopes. Basically they use a small vibrating component to detect motion along a single axis (for a more detailed explanation look up "coriolis effect").
    Obviously to detect movement in more than one axis you just use more than one sensor - but each one can be hooked up to a separate correction mechanism (ie the yaw sensor on a helicopter could be connected to the tail rotor, pitch and roll could be connected to the main rotor).

Edit: With R/C helicopters I think only a single gyro is used to control the tail rotor.

6. and yet they still suffer from power on/off yaw.

7. thanks guys, got a couple of ideas now

oh come on mate, that would be way too easy :LOL:

8. Mmm.

The constant-pitch helicopters will suffer noticable power on/off lag as the main rotor and tail rotor have to be accelerated/decelerated to change the thrust generated by each - is that the sort of power-induced yaw you're referring to?

9. Sorry JD, but according to a currently silent long term netrider, coriolis effect is a fictitious force and therefore doesn't exist. You'll have to take it up with him.

Stewy, what's the definition of the problem you're trying to resolve?

10. Eek, that must mean there's a ghost in my car sitting on me whenever I accelerate :shock: :shock: :shock: .

11. But he's got a PhD and everything and gets paid loads of moolah because he's so astonishingly clever. How could he possibly be wrong? :LOL:

Assuming you refer to PP of course.

12. Well inertial forces are fictitious too, so Baap powww, it can't be them. You have just proven you have a pet poltergeist.

Very cold Pat... as is PP's last post in these parts.

13. there might be a disagreement about the way bike sits when on the road, which as far as i am concerned is rubbish (nobody ever said a short rider has to have their bike vertical when they stop) anyway just looking into other options as to see if it's a easy fix if push comes to shove so i don't get caught with my pants down :wink:

14. I fly R/C helis pretty seriously and am happy to answer any of your questions.

My website is at www. littlerotors. com.

We use heading hold gyros on all our helis, I like the Futaba GY601 or 611 ones myself.

Thanks,
    Simon