Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Raw Pine Furniture

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mjt57, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Looking for places that sell raw pine furniture. Want to get a couple of side tables and a desk so we can stain and paint them.

Prefer somewhere eastern suburbs of Melbourne (we live in Gippsland). I've found nothing out this way.
  2. Frankston Auction Mart, if it's not too far for you. We have bought a couple of raw pieces there, filing cabinet, bookcases etc. it's just basic pine stuff but the price was right! 9783 9613
  3. Well I don't know out East, but I found a fantastic hand made furniture store over the road from Highpoint. They are prepared to make anything you like from any wood you please. If you can supply pictures, plans or what they prefer is an actual article they can copy, they will make you another. It's all solid wood too, none of this particle board with a fancy covering stuff.

I bought an entertainment unit, which costs less than what is advertised in the junk mail from large furniture stores.
  4. Thanks for the replies. I'll check out this Frankston market. The project that we have in mind is what they call a "kitchen office". Generally, they are built in and sit off the kitchen. It's more of a Euro or US thing but they're starting to catch on here. Anyway, two local cabinet makers gave us quotes for one. Both came in at over $3.5k. So, maybe we'll do it using a decent raw pine desk painted and stained appropriately and a couple of flat pak cupboards.

Note: our new kitchen which includes island bench with room for 2 under sink cupboards, dishwasher space, microwave cavity, large pot/pan drawer, 4 drawers, then opposite it, overhead cupboards, recess for range hood, benches with numerous drawers and a pantry tacked on the end cost us $8k.

So, how can they justify nearly half the price for something with less than a quarter of the materials?