Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rattling Noise on New XJ6

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Vanish83, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Hi all,

At around 200km I started to get a rattle noise on a new XJ6. I describe the sound as a metal 'O' ring bouncing around between 2 close surfaces. It happens on acceleration, coasting and slowing down. It appears to be on the left hand side of the bike (when riding) and doesn't change pitch when push my knee in or out to try and identify if its coming from the front or the rear of the bike.
    Dropped in to Yamaha at around 500km mark and they took it for a quick strap, told me the chain was getting loose and tightened it up, but still had the sound after that.
    Also mentioned it again at 1000km service and they said they tightened up all nuts and bolts and the chain again so it should stop... again it didn't fix the issue.
    I know the details are very vague, just hoping someone mechanically minded might be able to tell me a few places to start looking. I have had a look over the bike a few times but honestly I don't know much about the mechanical side of things.

2. Did the bike shop actually admit to hearing any abnormal noise?

Some noises are just normal operating noises.

However, exhaust valves can rattle if the cables stretch, assuming your model has one. Try tapping every part on the bike with your hand to see if anything rattles, especially the headlight & any plastic panels.
  3. Yeah on the first ride he said he heard it- which resulted in tightening the chain.

Will go over it again! issue is i cant seem to replicate it when sitting in the garage applying throttle.

Thanks for your reply
  4. Jaguars can be like that.

Ok, seriously, can you safely go for a short ride without a helmet? I've found this can completly change the location of a sound in your mind.
  5. Good idea ibast! Will see what I can do.