Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rattling in 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Azamakumar, Oct 28, 2010.

1. So halfway into uni today I notice that whenever I put it into second I get a worrying rattle. No change in power delivery, hear it on and off the throttle. Every other gear is fine.

It'll be headed in for a service in a week or two but I will need to use it in the mean time. Any ideas of what I should look out for or what could be causing it?
  2. 2nd & 1st gear are the most common gears that go in bikes by far, as they get the most floggin. Impossible to say what it may be without pulling it down. Fair chance are its going to expensive
  3. Turns out it was a warning that the chain was about to pop off - over a slight bump in 2nd gear and then rear wheel locks and massive loss of power. Tried to snag it back on, looks jammed inside the clutch housing.

:( off to the mechanic tomorrow
  4. aaaaaand now it's at bikebiz getting a quote on a new gearbox.

ahh hyosung
  5. under warranty?
  6. hyosung? claiming under warranty? HAH!
  7. wont be coverd under waranty you should check and adjust the chain often every 500/1000 ks this problem was caused by poor maintanance your lucky you didnt crash
  8. Reads to me like the gearbox jammed and caused the chain to jump the sprocket. The noise in one particular gear before-hand supports this argument.

Azam just falsely assumed it was the other way round.
  9. if thats the case go for waranty fix