Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rattle and Surge

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ouicava, Nov 25, 2008.

1. There's a few questions in here so stay with me....

1) This has happened a few times and I'm interested in your thoughts. While cruising at 80 or 100km/h sometimes the engine will start...missing I suppose is a good word. It will surge as I go along and I lose power going to the wheels. I'm not sure how to describe it to the mechanics out there properly. The revs will maintain a constant throughout, but engine output surges up and down and I lose speed as this happens obviously. From memory, once it stopped after a minute, and twice I had to pull over and stop, after that it worked fine once I started back up.
    What is this? It's an '89 Suzuki GS500e and I suspect there may be a decent amount of tank rust due to the fact it was left ungaraged and unused for 6 months 100m from the beach while I was overseas last year, and transited interstate and storaged for another 6 months this year. Could this be causing the problem with bit of crap floating around?

2) The front disc has always rattled a little when I shake it, there's a bit of play there. The past month I have been forced to drive for periods over unsealed roads in Tasmania due to work and as a result I have noticed the rattle while riding along these. Last week the bike went over at low speed during the rain on one of these roads, throwing me over the handlebars. The bike came out fairly well, except for a busted right mirror, though now the rattle it present more. I can hear it at differing speeds and on sealed roads as well.
    What is the potential damage here?

3) What other hidden problems do I need to check for after a low speed stack?

I think that is all for now. It's been a long day and hopefully I've written this well enough for your comprehension :grin:
  2. Fuel filter if it's got one in the line and empty the tank remove the fuel tap and also check there, a mate had an old Ducati 600SS which had the exact same problem, it was a clogged primary filter attached to the fuel tap located inside the tank.

It would also be a good idea to check the carb float bowls for gunk

Emptying the tank completely now will also make the likelihood of it rusting out later is there is water accumulated in the low points inside
  3. Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at it and see what I can see.
  4. It's either fuel or air supply - but unless your airbox is full of shite, I'd go with the fuel hypothesis.

The rattle.... Perhaps your disc floaters are getting a bit long in the tooth? I'm not sure I'd be super comfortable with them being that loose and rattly, you might see if you can get them replaced, but I doubt that's a job you can do at home.
  5. Thanks, yeah I am starting to think it's a great time to replace the pads and the front disc.

I've only been riding a few years, and the bike has been garaged a few times for lengthy periods so this is the first time I'm facing this. I'll start some research into it but what do you think is an approximate cost for replacing the front disc, and should I only ever consider new and never source a second-hand one? It seems silly to trust a second-hand one but maybe I'm wrong and there's decent ones out there.