Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rat Hog (long question)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by flexorcist, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Are there "Rat-rods" of the bike world? I can see myself getting an answer of cafe-racer, but even after looking it up, I'm still not sure. Just because they're favoured by rock-a-billy's I still don't know if they're the same.

I could ask this question quickly, but I'm after a fairly specific answer.
    The below 2 pictures are of a "rat rod", and a "hot rod". The hot rod is built with shiny paint, new reproduction and after market parts. The rat rod is built with older parts, as the owner wants it to be how a hot-rod was in the 50s or 60s. Like for instance, the dude who had the first one ever to be finished while it was still in primer, it was a model-t, on a model-a chassis, with a 1958 oldsmobile motor. The only new thing on it is the fuel tank. Hot rods were built by young blokes once, who didn't have the $100k it costs to build one now. So rat rods are something built on a budget, to be what would have been a young blokes drag racer in the 50s or 60s.

So, maybe some cafe racers fit the bill, but is there a close to specific bike scene that may take a 30s harley, stick a 60s motor in, leave it unpainted etc??? Like my topic, is there what I would call a "Rat Hog" scene?? pic examples would be great to satisfy my curiousity. Sorry for the long winded question, but I didn't want people to go, yeah I know a bloke with an old Harley with a new motor in it. That's not the answer I'm looking for.

2. I've heard of the 'Rat Racers' from somewhere. Essentially the only work they do is to keep the bike going (and not necessarily well). The rest of the bike they let go to shit.
  3. That is the first thing I thought of too, "Rat Bikes".
  4. I think he needs to lower it though

5. Funny you should ask - I stumbled across this site the other day looking for streetfighter pages...

Is this what you were looking for :?:

6. Well there you go, Rat Bikes, not Rat Racers.
  7. i coined rat hogs, they shoulda used my phrase lol....

nah cool. cheers heaps for the responses dude. satisfied my curiousity.