Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rarely seen techniques

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Brmmm, Nov 17, 2010.

1. From my Ps test a few months ago a couple of techniques were emphasised and practised during the day. I've been assiduously using them since but rarely see other riders doing the same. Not quite sure why this is. Maybe they never learnt them? Have forgotten them? Or just feel they do not aid safety?

They include:
    1. Weaving about in your lane to assist others to notice you (remembering to still ride like you're invisible)
    2. Setting up brakes when passing a hazzard such as a car potentially about to pull out on you.
    3. Buffering away from oncoming cars

Is this just something that happens up where I ride?
  2. I don't think its a case that riders don't feel these things aid safety. I think it's more about knowing when it's required plus a certain amount of complacency.
  3. Weaving might not be the correct word to use.
    It sounds as though you are weaving like trying to warm up your tires.

It is more like move around in your lane, left/right/center, don't just ride in one for a long period of time.
  4. Weaving about ? A newbie cop sees you doing this and he will pull you over and try and book you for wreckless riding. Good way to pick up crap on your tires too.
    Setting up brakes... Brilliant. If your doing this, Then you better be alert and pick up a hazard way before you need to brake. If you brake on the adrenalin rush you will lock up.
    If you see a car pull up at a side street. Try to make eye contact with them. Don't smile. Just stare them out a bit.
    Bufferiing on coming cars ? Nah. trucks yes. Cars wont affect you. A truck or bus will. Its the breese that comes off the front of them thats unsettles you.
    How about head checks ??? Being able to hook left, left wheel track. Right, right wheel track. And a kewl little head check while leaned over as you come out. Being able to nail all these little things is the ducks guts. You do them all day every day, so why not try and nail them. get them 100% perfect. It's fun. It's all about style on a bike.
  5. setting up the brake n that is great dont get me wrong, everyone should be doing that, but if i see a rider weaving like this guy, im droppin my bike and jumpin in a truck and puttin an end to the madness before a learner sees him
  6. I should have been a bit clearer - more like moving about in your lane, not a fast cone weave/tyre warmer weave LOL.

Instructor said he was doing this one day and the car behind started to do it too. I guess it worked.
  7. Maybe he doesn't mean weaving. I took it to mean moving position in your lane, which isn't a bad thing.

Mind you it does rely quite heavily on the driver actually looking at what is going on around them.
  8. While Brmmm could have used a better word than Weaving, you would do well to take note of all three points Bryan. After all,

you said you wanted to learn, and all three points are valid, and have a place at some times when riding.
  9. yeah,, well

Attached Files:

10. Great tips.

I've done the WEAVING tyre warm up thing when an idiot truck or car has gotten too close. They don't understand bikes and think I'm about to go for a slide... so back off. Win win.

But yes, move about in your lane to maximise your chance of being seen. You're a small profile and you blend into the background. A movement will attract the oncoming or intersection driver's eye and you'll be noticed.
  11. I do these.

By the way instead of calling it weaving I tend to think of it more as making the bike do a little happy dance.
  12. i do it when i get bored and or am in a happy mood. its fun.
  13. After having ridden for a couple of years i can tell you I do all of that plus more when and as i deem necessary.

It would only be a 'short time not a long time' kind of wanker who didn't take the time to apply it and understand it.
  14. i use these as well.

the moving around in your lane is best described as the best road position. coming to a t intersection on the left that has a lot of bushes or parked cars it pays to be in the right hand wheel track so that it gives people that would be coming through that intersection a better chance at seeing you, and it also gives you a little more room to break or dodge if they dont stop.
  15. I call it weaving, because that is what I do. Quite a lot. It has more benefits than just getting you seen.

And that's what happened. I told him to stick it, nicely.
  16. Everytime I approached a T-intersection with a car popping out. I weave (tyre warm up style) and they notice me much better than when I was changing positions in a lane. It is still hard for them to gauge how fast you are approaching if you change lanes slowly...but if you weave they take more note that either A: there is a rider warning of their approach or B: someone is being a ******** I will wait and see if he crashes. Either way they will stop and notice and you won't get T-boned. I rather cop a fine than being a possible speed hump.
  17. Disagree, especially on undivided roads or on country roads where there is a possible overtaking zone.

If the guy on the other side of the road reaches down to change his radio and accidentally veers onto your side of the road (it happens quite a lot...) and you're there, you're dead. Someone hops out closely behind another car to overtake? You're dead.

Buffering is very important
  18. Op - what you were taught is nothing knew, and every riders has the need to do all three, AS REQUIRED.

Reposition within your lane, is good for catching drivers attention. And the other two, while taught, are basic common sense.

19. Um you should easily pick up him drifting over. What about the guy behind him wanting to over take. One moment your there then you not as you went to the left. Now what ??? Now there is no road left for you.
    Blind crests for sure yep middle left and ready to go either way.
    It is your lane and you can do what eva you like. Just make sure youkeep a good eye in the mirror when your doing it. I'd hate to take out old big mean mate handlebar moustache with the colours who came up behind me. Right or wrong he's gunna give me a whooping.
  20. Let's see now, hmmm......head on with a car vs going off road....hmmm

I'm gunna take B everytime thanks. And it's better to go off road on a shallow angle rather than an acute one, more room to slide if it comes to it.