Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Random thought

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nobby, Aug 24, 2010.

1. When I was a young bloke I used to reckon I grew taller and lost a few kilo's the minute I planted my arse on a bike? Me and my mates, we were gods, kings of the street, we were phuk'n indestructable ....

I'm 58 now, and a lot of those mates have gone, cancer, heart attack and old age took some, wheels disease got others. The Horsemen get us all eventually..

but you know what; when I plant my arse back on my motorbike . . . .
    age means jack shit! I still grow a little taller and I still shed a few kilo's, but most of all .. I feel alive and I'm lovin it....
  2. Couldn't have been said any better mate. I certainly share your sentiments re feeling alive, though I wish I grew taller - stuck on 5'10" (y)
  3. Again, well said. I'm not bad in the height/weight department but it certainly gives you that 'extra something' doesn't it? Love blasting to work, cutting and filtering at leisure and watching everyone turn their heads as I go by. Its a magnificent feeling, riding.

Not much beats riding a bike.

Cheers - boingk
  4. My sentiments exactly, but as for the losing weight thing, well theres way to many great coffee shops along the way on a Sunday ride for that.
  5. Agree, agree agree....
    As a late starter, I do get that mid life crisis bullsh&t...
    More like FREEDOM AND ME TIME!

Honestly to me, on a bike and looking at the road ahead is the closest thing to flying through the air a few feet off the ground.
    Don't know how many times on a day ride, I've said to myself, fk it, don't go back just keep on going.
    Motocycling Forest Gump really appeals to me!
  6. I would definitely agree with the loving and alive feeling that I get from riding a bike. I get in my own world and I would have to say after having a nasty accident this year all I could really think about was getting back on the bike and hitting the road - no pun intended. My fiance is starting to understand why and how I am so addicted to riding bikes and now she is considering getting one to ride with me.
    I'm 6'1" so all that smoking when I was younger didn't manage to stunt my growth.
  7. Couldn't agree more - needs to be made up into a motivational poster.
  8. It stunted mine..I'm 6'2"..I could have been 8' if I didn't start smoking!!
  9. Good on you mate, very well said!
  10. When I was younger, riding bikes certainly made me shed kilos. Not so much from a psychological POV, but more because I was usually so skint that questions like "Do I buy a secondhand tyre or do I eat this week" tended to arise rather frequently :D.
  11. Sadly, I don't remember it being as difficult back then getting my guts over the tank and my head in behind the screen.....

I know bikes were bigger back then:angel:
  12. Onya nobby.

Growing up is mandatory, growing old is optional. Riding keeps ya young at heart.
  13. Epic quote. I like !!

That should certainly be put in your signature to remind us all every so often!
  14. I still have all my gear from those far off days. Trouble is, it all seems to have shrunk :D.
  15. I did a school reunion back in February this year. Most of us are in the 52 - 53 region. From a group of around 60 - 70 guys, we believe that only about 4 have passed. Unfortunately that number will start to rise exponentially faster in the next few years. If it feels good, keep doing it.:jerk:
  16. I know exactly where you're coming from.
    I'm 51, 5'4" & 80kg, but when I'm on the bike, I'm 25, 6'2" & 70kg!!:)
  17. Yeah mate...I'm with ya! There's a bit of life left in me yet!
    I just wish I knew what I know now, when I was 25, but I guess, we all have to grow from the experience - something we would'nt do if we did'nt live through it all - good and bad.

Cheers! :)

18. Pleased to see you made the right choices Pat...:)

19. I'm not entirely sure that a concrete Roadrunner with the profile worn square and a nail in it could be described as a right choice :shock:;D.
  20. Yea well said man, although if i were to grow much taller than 6"2 or even feel like iv grown i might look funnier than i already do on my tiny little rvf400 xD