Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ran out of clutch adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hugh50935, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Last week I took my clutch lever assembly apart, beadblasted, repainted it and put it back together again. Now I can't engage the clutch fully.

There's no freeplay with the lever released, so it looks like the cable is adjusted too tight. BUT, the cable is currently as relaxed as it can be.

Does anyone have any clues as to how this could have happened since no part were replaced?

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

2. OK, so as a quick fix I adjusted it from the other end. Still no idea why it would have changed though...

This is for a Honda Spada 250, BTW.

3. Talking from very little experience here, but to my knowledge you should adjust the cable from the gearbox side first, then at the handlebar second.

The gearbox end adjusts how much it will engage / disengage.
    The handlebar end adjusts how tight the cable will be.

Willing to be completely wrong.
  4. Have you moved the left hand controls at all, either a little further along the bar or tilted further towards the rider?
  5. Yeah I probably have moved the lever & cables around, but that shouldn't make a difference to the relative cable/sheath placement?

I rode it today and it was all fine... I'm just a little unnerved as to how it happend. Oh well!

Next issue is that the brakes feel soft (no leaking though) & squeal now at low speed after I replaced the master cyl piston & fluid, so I'm guessing it's just a combination of small air bubbles and some pad contamination. It's still OK and passed rego today, so I think I'll ride it for 100kms or so, put it through a few heat cycles and rebleed the front system.

Thanks for your suggestions,
  6. Your clutch issue might be that while you had things apart, the nipple on the lower end of the cable has slipped slightly out of its normal location and is thus making the cable effectively shorter(and may be at risk of jumping off altogether). Its worth having a look behind the cover or whatever the Spada has to make sure all is OK.