Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ramblings of a frustrated chicken

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Majster, Oct 24, 2010.

1. After riding the old pac highway yesterday I felt very humbled. I feel like I've hit the upper limit of my riding skills and struggling to find a way to improve. After 5 months in the saddle I really should be up to the stage where I can push at the corners a lot harder.

Every once in a while there was a gust of wind behind my shoulder. “Voooom” I was passed by yet another rider who seemed to glide effortlessly through the twisties. I tried to keep up for as long as possible but alas sooner or later they disappeared into the distance. Damnit! This really frustrated me because I was riding as hard as I could really pushing the corners while at the same time trying to hold everything together. Even the guy on the cruiser was pissing all over me ](*,)
    Now although I'm on a 250 I really should be able to keep up as the bike is lighter and theoretically easier to flick around the corners than a 600.

I'm trying to apply all the theory which I've learned in Rob's guides and elsewhere. Trying to remind myself all the time: relaxed arms, focus on vanishing point, lean into corner, roll on throttle. None of this was cutting the mustard.

I have a feeling the key is to increase my lean angle but I'm not sure how to bring myself to it. I hear some guys scraping their foot pegs! I can't even imagine getting that low without a lowside. I'm just focusing on not ending up onto the opposite barrier!

Any ideas on how to get over the fear and loose those chicken strips?
  2. Sweetie, first things first, the Old Road is a challenging Road for nearly all riders. It's a road the regularly slaps riders on their beautiful behinds......

Darling do not attempt to out ride your current ability.......there is absolutely no point to it.

Sugarplum, 5 months, you have your whole riding life to improve....

A word to the wise, people run out of
    talent very quickly when they over ride their current ability...........
  3. how in the name of all that's good and holy do you imagine that you will learn anything at 60kph on the old Highway? Anyone who thinks he's reached the upper limit of his riding skills needs to ride a road where they'll actually be extended, not a stifled traffic jam like the old road.

treat yourself to a couple of runs on the Putty, for example; that will redefine your 'limits'
  4. You know it's not all about how fast or how hard you go, never make the mistake of trying to run somebody else's race .. your on a 250 .. with 250 brakes and 250 acceleration, no matter what you do, you aint gunna keep up wth a 600 or even a well handled cruiser.

One day you will come in to that corner and exit it with the biggest grin on your face, because you have just realised you did everything right and without even thinking about it.

good luck and happy roads
  5. #5 Takamii, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    [URL="]ramblings of a chicken[/URL]
  6. #6 Majster, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

Rattus, Nobby, thanks for the encouragement. Still a lot of work to be done but hopefully I will see some improvement.

Hornet, the old pac seemed ok. The advantage being it has easy access from where I live. I might give Putty a go when I the whole day spare. I'm thinking about doing the Wisemans Ferry rd along the river. Any idea if that's in good nick?
  7. Sweetie sorry about this, but on this occasion I think you have been ill advised by the champion poster....
    Darling that is not to say that I doubt his pedigree........rather in this particular instance he has made an error of judgement.

Sugarplum my gut feeling is that you should stick to roads that are known to you, doing so will enable you to hone your skills in familiar surroundings.

I am not a rider of great natural ability, however years of practice and application on the road and track took me beyond what I could have reasonably expected. To study a craft diligently is self rewarding......
  8. the quick way to improve is to do an advanced riding course. I do one every time I feel a reach a plateau and it kicks me up a level.
  9. Yeah dont out do yourself.

I got a lot faster when I changed my body position.
    say your going left:
    - put weight on the left peg
    - bum off the seat
    - lean into the corner, your right arm pretty much straight, left arm bent, your head should be sortof looking just over your left mirror
    - knee out
    - look through the corner...

I dont know if its the right way but when I tried it I noticed a huge difference in speed and the bike also felt smoother.

goodluck, ride safe!
  10. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

keep looking through the corner, keep searching, keep learning, keep trying.

5 months is nothing.

I blow past people on the old road. Some people blow past me. There's always a bigger fish.
  11. 5 months? Don't forget many of the people on the Old Road have been riding for YEARS and have done track days and have much quicker bikes. Ride your own ride, do NOT try to to keep up with them or you will almost certainly come unstuck.
  12. was this thread originally called ramblings of a frustraded chicken lol

heard of california superbike school
  13. My dear little green peach..
    you are not yet plump and ripe.
    You need to focus on method and technique only for now... the speed will come in time.
    you would not like to come prematurely now would you...or you will most certainly crash this summer.
    I sincerely hope you can find a mentor in your area with a wiser head than yours on his/her shoulders.
  14. Cornering at speed. Its just bloody difficult. Thats why its the main focus of all the advanced courses.

Ive been riding for about 10 months now (couple of times per week, mostly suburban) and still find they feel so noobish. Uncertainly about speed and lean angle and clunky coordination between my body position and the bike.

I dont want to race my road buddies, but I do want to feel confident and relaxed doing corners fast enough to fit in with general traffic.

I think we just need to be patient grasshoppers and practice practice practice.
  15. Sweetie touché, this little biscuit has done all four levels plus other race school instruction as well, what I lack in natural ability I make for by studying the art.

Darling yes, you are going to have to dip your hand rather deeply into your pocket, but Level 1 will sooth your soul.

Sugarplum I would also peruse Amazon for Twist of the Wrist II in print or DVD. In my short time on this forum I have made a number of minor posts on my cornering beliefs, they can best be summed up thus "Vision and Throttle Control"
  16. Practice is only good if you practice the right things. Not much point in being very good at the wrong thing (as was pointed out to me by a sport coach)
    The HART and Stayupright courses are more road focused and to me a bit less intimidating than CSS.
    Saw the aftermath of a teach myself to ride type of guy sailing over the edge of the Korumburra Rd yesterday. Big black skid from locking the rear and a wheel poking out of shrubbery down the hill. He'd been riding for a long time but still had crap skills.

Rider who after 5 months believes he's reached his limits but should be at a higher level!

IMO, forget about others passing you and focus on your own riding and forget about those chicken strips.
    It takes years not months of repetivness of any skill to keep improving and it's different time for every rider.
    Riders here with decades of experience will admit to still learning something every time they ride.

Some of the best advice I got from a HART course is to always focus on being smooth through the corners even if it's slower than you could take it.
    The more comfortable and smoother you become then you naturally start to increase your cornering pace.
    Highly appreciated wise advice.
  18. +1 , Motorcycling is a life of learning and improving, pushing the envelope gradually. Use this summer to try and improve your skills. The Old Rd is great for getting consistent cornering improvement but can bite back hard. Get out and ride different roads, but always ride to the conditions etc etc. I racked up 45 000 kms on my VTR250 before thinking about stepping up to a bigger bike. I rode mainly with experienced riders who gave my great advice and feed back on my riding. Try and find a mentor who has your best interests at heart.
  19. Amen to that!, Rattus.

OP...why do you have it in your head that you should be at some level you have set in your mind.??

These blokes passing you might be very accomplished riders with years of experience under their belts, or on more capable bikes, or with tyres providing superior grip to yours.

You DO NOT compare yourself to such riders, without knowing their abilities...you DO compare yourself to riders with the same amount of experience and similar bike to you, and that is all.

FAIR WARNING!...your frustration, through imagination of where you think you 'should' be, is going to end in alot of pain for you - if you don't get your head straight.
  20. Find someone to ride with who is a safe and comfortable 1 or 2 steps above your current ability.

There is no point chasing people whos experience and ability far outweighs your own.

Take baby steps, ride as often as you can, each day focus on one thing you would like to improve in your technique.

If in doubt, pull up and chat with some other riders, see if they can follow you for a bit and perhaps give you some pointers. MOST riders are friendly folk.