Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Raising the seat height??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by banditbob, Jun 5, 2006.

1. I'm in the market for either a kawasaki balius or a suzuki bandit 250.

I prefer the style of the balius but it has quite a low seat height.

Does anybody know what may be involved in mechanically raising the seat height? Perhaps, re-installation of larger shocks?

I know some later balius models with these shocks do have a higher seat height.

Any ideas?
  2. Adjust the rear preload to near on maximum and have the seat re-foamed with something thicker.
    Have you considered removing a few inches from your shin bones?
    :LOL: :roll:
    Oh, check out the Hornet 250 if your looking at the Bandit!
    Welcome to the forums!
    Daz. :wink:
  3. Depends how keen you are. In addition to the above, you can get custom suspension links made or you can make a new shock mount and have it welded on.

You may even be able to find a shock from a different bike that is slightly longer, but similarly sprung.

If it's close, then just do the preload thing, it won't be worth the hassle otherwise.
  4. Ok cheers.

I looked up the procedure and found a good link that explains it - http://www.kgrant.co.uk/Per_Handling2.htm

Problem is... tightening the preload puts greater weight on the front end and consequently changes the overal handling of the bike.

Anyway the bandit's a nice bike... might save myself the bother.
  5. Take the top of your shock out and put a spacer that you can buy from a bike shop i there..That will raise seat hight
  6. Changing the geometry of the bike is almost always going to change the handling and balance of the bike.
    The two options for any significant change (as have already been mentioned to some extent) are to:-
    - change the dog-bones (suspension links)
    - block up the rear shock

If winding out the rear preload isnt enough, i'd say the easiest and cheapest would be the dog bones.