Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

raising the bike...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by nice2Bnaked, Jul 5, 2007.

1. i know you can lower bikes using a lowering link, but can you raise a bikes ass by using a link in the shock pivot setup? or do i need a longer shock?
    Also does a lowerink link change the stance of a bike? I am looking to raise the back end up a bit more to be more agressive... I've dropped the front end down, and it steers faster, but I want to raise the bum a bit higher.
    And before anyone asks, its my Spada project bike. Dont knock it till you see it...

2. Ehhhh I think you can get shim stacks to raise the rear ride height... Not too sure though...

Keep in mind if you make the rake angle too sharp, you start running the risk of instability, headshakes and tankslappers, although I'm sure you're aware of that.
  3. your dogbone can be welded up and reduced in length. The hole for the linkage is then redrilled 5 - 10m closer to the cener of the dogbone..

5mm closer on my vfr400 will yeld 15-20mm ride height gain..
  4. This is what pre-load is for. Despite what many people think, it has nothing to do with the rate of the spring. Wind your pre-load up. After that fit a longer spring
  5. I raised the arse on my bike by approx. 10mm a few weeks ago. Just stuck some shims(3x16mm washers) in between the shock and the top mount. Had some pretty good results, sharper turn in into corners and feels a bit more stable when turning in general.

6. I don't think the Spada has pre-load though :eek:
  7. Modifying the lower linkage as Ward_4 said would probably be easiest, depending on how the top of the shock is mounted to the frame (easiest way is as per the ZX6r pic, but most early honda shocks mount directly to the frame).

Straight forward to modify the lower link, I've had a couple done.
  8. christ I though everything had rear pre-load at least.