Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rainwater tanks.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by imajo, Oct 17, 2006.

1. With all these water restrictions going on im contemplating on installing a rain water tank. Just curious if anyone has one and if so how much it cost them to install.
    I think at the moment the govt is offering a $500 rebate but the way the weather is looking im surprised they dont offer more to get more people to install rain tanks.

2. I run a 2250 litre rain tank. I have a pergola that is 8 X 4.5 mts and the roof is large enough to catch enough water to fill the tank in 2 1/2 decent rainy days.

I have a Davey pump connected to the tank with a flow switch that controls the pump.

Basically, I can attach a hose and trigger nozzle and turn it all on, once the hose is pressureised the pump turns off.
    Squeeze the nozzle, pressure in the hose drops, the pump comes on.

Awesome for filling the outdoor spa or watering the lawns ;)

No idea what it cost to install, it came with the house.
    The pump was $650 supplied and fitted.

From memory though, the tanks themselves are only $4-500 from Bunnings, they are piss easy to install.

You cut your downpipe and run the top section into the tank, and then you connect your overflow to the bottom of the cut pipe. Done.

Just be sure to prepare the base properly as 2250 litres weighs a fair bit. My builder found out the hard way ;)
  3. Got a rainwater tank. Its a bluescope stell one with a bianco pump that came free. It holds 2500lts and fills up in no time and that amount of water seems to last forever. It costs around $2000 dollars, that is a little more than other, because its a metal one and is professionally installed.
    Defently worth the money.
  4. We've got 2 watertanks we installed ourselves, bought them from bunnings and had them delivered, made a seat for it, bung them on top, screwed in the tap and connected up some piping from the down pipe.

We can't use the water fast enough, we have a huge garden which is always watered, but theres always water in the tank :D
  5. ooh, what i could do with the neighbour's bins:LOL:

we're all set to divert water into a tank. only problem is that we haven't yet bought ourselves a one.

currrently we just used our bins.
  6. LOL twainharte. Yeah well my garden is nice and green at the moment but i havent even watered yet. As soon as we get more sun the grass starts turning brown.
    Im looking to hook it up to the toilet as well. So i think i need to call a plumber in for that.
    so im looking at about $1500-$2000 man - thats enough for an upgrade of the bike
  7. You'll need a concrete slab to put the tank on.

If you want to connect it to toilets etc, you'll want to mount a float-valve inside your rainwater tank maybe a ft from the bottom, so that if you run out of rainwater, mains will flow in to top it up to a minimum.

There are 2 types of pressure system pumps you can use - ones with a tank and ones without a tank. The ones with a tank will pressurise water inside the tank against an air-bladder - so for small water uses, the pump won't need to turn on. This reduces cycles and extends pump life.
    The one without a tank has a pressure switch that starts the pump whenever it is being used.

I recommend getting the one without a tank - they are much easier to install, set-up and maintain. The tank ones require testing and resetting of air-pressure in the bladder = pain in the butt.

Don't buy Davy - all their pressure systems are now made in China and are shyte quality. They are also quite sensitive to lightning strikes and like to price-gouge you on replacement switches after a storm.

www.aussiepumps.com.au do a good stainless steel one with a pressure switch called the JM99 - it's a solid Italian made one. I used to work for them and that was the only model I would sell. I can still get them for distributor price (about $500... pricey, but they are solid).
    I sold 2 of these for salt-water supply on the Mascot runway restoration project and they haven't missed a beat since they went in over a year ago.
    Stainless-steel casing, and polymer impeller = no corrosion.

Otherwise, your local irrigation dealer may also carry a brand called DAB which is distributed by White International - they are a decent quality pump.

If there's a DAB dealer close to you - buy one of those. They use the same switch as the JM99.

Any pump that comes for free with a tank is made in China.

You'll want to avoid cast iron pump bodies as they rust slightly inside and you'll get a glut of muddy water each time the pump starts up before it goes clean.

Nothin like a little FeO to ruin mum's washing :p

And yes, if you want your tank connected to mains or the houses water piping - you will want a certified plumber to do the work. That will keep the water board happy, and you also won't compromise your home insurance if anything goes wrong, flooding wise etc.
  8. Dont want to burst the bubble. I have a 5000 ltr tank. its plumbed in to my hot water system and we totally use it for water. the lot, and it has 2 filters on it,. and hardly go on to the mains. DONT WASTE YR MONEY! why..because its fkn con. My water bills have not gone down one bit. im still paying the same for water as someone who doesnt have it . if they had it such that the water u use, you pay, that wld be better, but we all pay the same for water. parks and sewage. its just like solar panels..take u fkn 8 years to re coup the costs...install a small tank so u can water yr gardens if u want..thats about it.
    so if u want to go pay over a $2000 to install one, and then wait and hope u stay in yr house for more than 6 years to recoup it, if not longer then go for it...! but also hope the cost of water doesnt go up and the amenites that go with it, then it will be longer to recoup
  9. This is quite true.

I've had to maintain a house for 6 months with no one living in it. The difference from a family of 4, to no one and no water use, was $60 per quarter less ($180 per quarter with family of 4 vs $120 per quarter with no consumption).

So, the offset cost of any water tank installation roughly needs to be calculated at the rate of $60 per year per person living in the household, and that's assuming 100% independence from mains water consumption.