Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rain versus my new A* perforated leather jacket…

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by grue, Nov 22, 2009.

1. …turned out not to be a big deal :-s The only place I got wet was on my armpits, from the water transferring from the stretch panels to my shirt. Weird.

2. I just bought my first leather jacket yesterday. Is rain bad for leather jackets? I don't care if I get a bit wet, but I don't want my jacket to start to deteriorate. Should I wear my dririder if I go for a ride today? :-|

3. From what I understand, you just want to make sure you let it dry gradually rather than trying to force it to do it all at once. So just hang it up and let it go, rather than keeping it near a heater or any of that stuff.

That having been said, I'm not an expert on the subject, sooooooo…
  4. I have just bought my second leather jacket, The first one I bought when I was 16, and it just dont fit any more, and its getting a bit tacky. But it still has character, hahahahaha
    It has been dripping wet countless times, and it has slid down the road at over $2-00 worth with me in it many times,
    Marlon Brando type jacket, I just let it dry out naturally, Normally I wear it wet and the wind drys it out very quickly. If you really want to preserve it. Beeswax rubbed into it, as other products rot the stitching.
  5. get some renapur or nikwax leather restorer or something like that and use it before you get your jacket wet or dirty
  6. I throw an el cheapo rain jacket [rjays $25] under the seat for this very reason. I also have a perforated A* jacket.
  7. Damn, I wish I had an under the seat now.

OK, I think it is a good idea to have plastics for heavy rain. I will get some.

Now I'm seriously in need of some sort of storage facility, but that's for another thread...

8. Rode to work in the rain this morning. I wore a bright plastic jacket over my leather jacket. It did a great job of keeping my top half dry.

My lower half got quite wet. It's now time to get some plastic pants.

Then I think I'm set for gear - time to look at luggage storage!