Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rain rain go away, and filling up petrol

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by cygnus, Feb 3, 2010.

1. I know there are plenty of riding in the rain threads. But still, I was riding home last night in the down pour on Parramatta road, in the right lane. Now, all of a sudden, I was splashed with water off the road from oncoming traffic. Not knowing what had hit me, I instinctively closed my eyes for a moment! So it was dark, and I didn't see it coming, could have ended badly in some situations I presume? Anything I can do to avoid it happening again? Does this happen to you guys too?

On another note, I went to top up petrol last night, and was straddling the bike. I do this so the bike is upright when filling up. The side stand was down, the engine off, helmet off. However, the petrol station attendant still insisted on me getting off my bike to fill up! I got annoyed so I rode off to another servo. Anyone had this happen? What's with that anyways?

2. 1. No, there's no way that I know of that you can avoid being "filled in" like that. Just looking ahead and watching for big puddles that form on the road when the rain is really heavy is the only possibility. If oncoming or passing traffic run through them and you're in the way...splat.

2. Most servos insist on the rider getting off the bike to fill it with fuel, in case of fire. Safer for the rider and all those in the general vicinity. Having said that, when I had the VTR1000 and it was necessary to squeeze every last millilitre into the tank, I often filled up while seated. Once at the servo at Narellan, I had some officious twerp ball me out over the PA system and tell me to get off the bike. Not only that, but she refused to turn the pump on. So, I closed the cap, started up and made my feelings well known as I passed the console operator.

3. Yup servo attendants are told not to let people fill up because of the fear that the static electricity of you on the bike could cause an explosion.

I dont get the logic of staying on the bike to keep it level so you can fit more in.. as soon as you put it on the sidestand to go in and pay, that extra amount would just come out?...

4. Best way is to get to know the console operators at your local servo that way when you rock up they know you and won't ask you to get off your bike.

I tend to always fill up at the same servo and remain seated while filling and also don't take any gear off apart from my left glove to get cash/card from my pocket.

5. So was I. As it turns out, standing water introduces an interesting dynamic to cornering.

As far as avoiding the water splashes go, well... I just ride with the visor fully down and let it hit me in the face. I know its not going to get in, so it doesn't bother me. I guess you'll stop reacting by closing your eyes once your used to it a little more? Perhaps you could spray yourself in the face with a hose or something?

6. Im not risking my balls on fire for an extra 200mls of petrol, its stupid!

How quick do you think you can get off before it lights up in flames...

7. There was a long thread debating the reasons in the past.

At the end of the day, which do you think is safer:
    * Standing by the side of your bike, a fire starts in the filler neck of your fueltank due to static discharge. Bad luck. You leave the nozzle in the tank so the fire can't get oxygen and walk to safety while the tiny little flame licks at the filler neck, easily contained.

* Sitting astride your bike, a fire starts a few inches from your crotch, and in your desperate panic to get off of the bike you pull the nozzle out, allowing the fire in your petrol tank to get plenty of oxygen and become a far bigger fire, while you try to climb off of the bike (with fire licking at your chest and face). With both you and your bike now on fire, the bike topples over in your haste to get away and put yourself out. Fuel splashes everywhere and the little fire which was once contained to just the filler neck of your bike becomes a pretty substantial petrol blaze.

Alright, that's pretty much the worst case scenario, but still.

Should some sort of emergency happen at the petrol station - a fuel spill, a fire, a car crashing into one of the bowsers, a car crashing into your bike... standing BESIDE the bike is a billion times safer than being caught out while straddling a 200+kg obstacle.

In the old thread I can't remember how many riders, serious or not, claimed to be able to do a ninja backflip off of their bike in a split second should some sort of emergency come up - without their bike toppling over. Hmm. :-s

8. I have always sat on the bike while filling up -- I do take of the helmet first -- no one has not ever turned the pumps on for me or asked me to get off the bike

In fact this is the first time I have heard of people being told to get off the bike

9. I assume nobody in this thread has a centre stand?

10. unfortunately not many new bikes these days come with centre stands

11. I have a centre stand but never use it filling up.

Personally I doubt that the difference between being totally upright and on the centre stand i going to make more than a few mls on my bike aand I suspect on most bikes.

Most servos have a policy of not serving customers fueling while sitting on the bike. A few aservo attendants will disregard it but if anything goes wrong or maybe simply if they get caught ignoring this, it's likely to cost them their job.

It's no big hassle for me to get off the bike when fueling but maybe it is for you so if so go to another servo.

12. I always put the bike on the center stand to fill it. It made sense to do so the first time I had to put fuel in, and i've done it ever since.

13. I've got a centre stand, but its a little bent, so the leverage is all wrong and its damn hard to get up onto it.. not fun to do often.

Also I do find it necessary to lift the bike upright, and at times have managed to get over another litre in the tank (it leans a fair way on the side stand)..
    I usually just stand on the left of it, hold the front brake with my right hand, pump in the left hand and hold it up by leaning against it.
    Havent had any issues so far *crosses fingers*
    I can just see one day I'm gonna push too far though

-
    Chris

14. Static would build up separately to the bike if you were having a good time with yourself while filling up... or maybe while hopping on or off the bike repeatedly - obviously attempting to have a good time with yourself... or by sticking your finger in a 240v power socket................. (not that that is static). Realistically, the risk of static is minimised by staying ON the bike, but then you might get a few splashes of juice on yourself (not referring to having a good time with yourself here...).

I think that fuel drops getting onto (and damaging) your precious and expensive gear is far more of a risk then any sort of static regarding any sort of ignition of said fuel...

My centrestand lets me get about 200ml more fuel in. Is it worth the bother? *shakes head and laughs at those who do bother...*

edit: im drunk and my spelling sucks

15. Filling up to the rim is nonsense. Whatever u get extra spills over the overflow as soon as you lean when you get to a corner.

16. Any portion of road that holds water needs to be reported the RTA or you local council ASAP!
    If reported, they have to rectify it, and we get more work. Win-win.

17. So, most of the roads Sydney should be reported then?

18. Cool. Thanks guys for the replies. I now see a reason to actually get off the bike. I thought the attendant was just having a power trip! Seriously though, it should be the rider's choice I still think, but I might get off the bike next time.

19. Riders choice? Um what do you think would happen if your balls caught fire at a SERVO with lots of Flammable gas's :-s

To risk life n limb for an few extra mils of juice is just beyond my thinking...Plus in the heat we have its never a good idea to over fill your tank anyway.

20. If they hold water, yes!