Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rain on the visor

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Spudley, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hi all, I'm currently anticipating going for my L's (this coming sunday), and as I will be riding to commute rain hail or shine, my question is what do people use on their visor to repel rain on the outside and fog on the inside?

I've seen "cat-crap" on the web for sale for antifog, anyone used this before and can confirm it works?

I was thinking about the Rain-X products for cars on the outside but not sure if there's something better... Can anyone pitch their ideas and findings?

2. Rain-X works on the outside, and there is a Rain-X product made for interior glass, but it doesn't work all that well on visors.

There are products you can get. I haven't bothered with them for many years. I keep the inside clean, I leave the visor cracked a fraction and open it at stop lights, and in really bad fogging conditions, I smear a little mild detergent (dishwashing liquid is good) on the inside. It will make a slightly milky film if it dries right out, but it will also stop the worst fogging. It only works for a few hours, so you need to clean it off and re-apply if the conditions are still bad. It's also worth learning to breath in through the nose and out through the mouth, and dr@pe your top lip so as to blow damp air down and out. You'd look like the village idiot if anybody could see you, but you're inside a full face, so they can't.

If the water on the visor is clean, you can swipe your finger across it like a windscreen wiper. Try not to do that if the water is dirty, or if the visor was a bit buggy when the rain started.

Plain rain on a visor isn't that bad - it beads and runs off. The stuff I hate is fine spray, like trucks throw up. That can be horrible. A sharp shake of the head may help, or turning your head to one side for a second, then the other, to let the wind clear off the middle.

The wind does a pretty reasonable job of keeping the visor clear at highway speed. It's suburban stop-start peak hour traffic that's the worst. And really heavy rain can actually be better than light rain and spray. Big drops run off. Little ones just sit there.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. i use natural wind. (i know that sounds disgusting)

but all you do is turn your head side on breifly when you are riding and the water blows off. the faster you are going the better. filtering probably also helps.
  4. Plus 1 to Kneedragon and MT1.

Make sure your visor is squeaky clean before you head out, and the beads of water will come off easily and leave you with a nice clear view using either method.

As the guys have remarked above, the "wind" method needs a bit of speed to work properly but on a nice clean visor it works a treat.

5. What KD said, Rain-X onthe outer works a treat, in Fact what MT! works well when you're doing about 80? Rain-x works at a much lower speed, the internal rain-x stuff, I still have a full bottle on my shelf needless to say, save your money. open all vents !! lift the visor when stopped if it's pissin down well you will learn to breath. summer is coming get your experience firstand enjoyriding before freaking out about the 'what if' stuff.
  6. My left winter glove has a squidgy on the thumb. If ride through misty/spray type rain (as KD described before), I just wipe my visor with my left thumb...squidgy works great and wipes the visor clean. Heavy rain I just move head left and right for a split second.

In regards to fog, I ride with the visor slightly ajar, especially when stopped at the lights.
  7. #7 bulby, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I got the pinlock thing on my visor. (Shoei TZ-X helmet)
    Works wonders against fogging onthe inside =]

As for rain / water droplets on the outside, i leave them there and let the wind clear them out for me.
  8. I have a pair of Dririder Highlander gloves. They come with a wiper on the left index finger. Very awesome little addition to the gloves, which I'm suprised hasn't really caught on with other winter gloves.

• Like Like x 1
  9. You get used to looking through the rain. I rarely drive a car but I have been caught driving in rain when my passenger reminded me that i had wipers. I forget.
  10. Great advice all round, but I just might add that it really isn't as bad as you think riding with rain on the visor. You can still see everything just fine, although things can get a little blurry. It is nothing like driving a car with water on the wind shield. Because the visor is so close to your eyes you focus well beyond it.
  11. Rain X for the win...... cat crap i use on my glasses when i wear my open face... works well for fog but does nothing else
  12. Rain X is great.

As for anti fogging the best solution I've found is a 'Fog City' insert. Failing that, a small amount of shampoo or dishwasing liquid polished on to the inside of the visor (and glasses) works really well.
  13. RST made one with a squidgy on the thumb. I've got one and it's awesome.
  14. Most brands have a Winter glove with a 'wiper' on either the forefinger or thumb.
  15. I had my first experience with this on Sunday on my way back from Yea. Just outside of Yea I encountered a swarm of large insects that I suspect may have been locusts. The experience reminded me of paintball actually, and sounded something like this...

Then came a storm and a heavy crotch-chilling shower (that first cold trickle is insanely awful innit?) on the Eastern freeway which slowed me to 80. Then miss smarty pants tries to wipe her visor with her glove. Bug gut soup... all the way home... It would have been clearer if I left it alone.
  16. lol, I get told off quite often for this by the missus.

17. LOL. That first trickle of cold water is doosy! Situation like that, try and find a servo and clean it. Really bad visibility can get you killed on a bike. It's not all macho and he-man to ride around with a cowpat in front of your face, it's just dangerous.

I've had a couple of crashes of varying severity because of bad visibility, including one that cost me about 8 large in today's dollars, to fix [MENTION=14598]skipperau[/MENTION]'s Aprilia. There was a thin fog an hour before dawn. There had been a storm overnight, but the rain had cleared. The air was wet, really wet. My visor was fogging inside and out. I went home over a piece of road I'd driven the cab over less than an hour before, and it had been fine then, only to find a foot deep pothole and all the broken up asphalt swept into a strip between the wheel tracks. Needless to say, it was exactly the same shade and colour as the road surface. First I got kicked in the goolies by the pothole, which ... distracted me slightly, which led me to be in a little deep and late for the corner I meant to take, so I tipped in, and the front went along the strip of gravel, and the bike slowly toppled over to the left.

18. Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I guess I'll just start with the natural wind approach and use some rain-x if I feel the need, and if I have fogging issues I'll try the washing detergent trick :)

19. I know that NOW, valuable lesson learned! Was pretty scary for awhile there, lucky the rain was so hard it washed most of it off.

Funnily enough I have before - although it did not make me feel particularly manly or macho - for some reason I'm ok with that ;) - car kicked up a cow pat in front of me. Smelliest ride I've ever had.
  20. Speeds over about 170 will keep the visor clear of rain.
    Don't know if the plods will accept that excuse though!