Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Radiator overflow quick tip

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rcheli32, Aug 18, 2013.

1. #1 rcheli32, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Those of you at yesterdays Elwood practice session will have notice the embarrassing large patch of coolant my bike dumped when I arrived. I checked it out today to see what was going on, and by simply squeezing the radiator hose I could see that fluid was squirting up into the overflow tank, meaning the pressure cap wasn't doing anything. I took off the cap and could see that while the spring was good, the rubber seals were quite gritty. I've cleaned it up and now it is holding pressure when I squeeze the hose. No doubt I'll pick up a new cap though to be safe.

So as a quick tip for anyone that sees overflow come from your radiator when you don't expect it should, a quick squeeze of the hose can test the pressure cap. ;-)

2. Gritty, meaning rust deposits? On an ER6N? A fairly new bike? Mmm, might be a good idea to flush the cooling system to remove any other grit that may be in there, waiting to make its way to the radiator cap seals again(y)
  3. Yeah the radiator and coolant condition looks great, but I read online that people have had trouble with the cap getting grit. People have suggested it is fine aluminium grains, though I don't know what that would be from. Not corrosion from the looks of it, but hard to say.
  4. Google is your friend..........

Get the new cap. I'd flush and replace the coolant just to be on the safe side.

Glad you found the problem.
  5. I've been googling furiously for a new cap but it seems hard to find one. I thought ebay would have heaps, but no... Any suggestions on good sites for spares like this?
  6. a tip for all your vehicles:
    if you have a coolant/overheating type problem that the problem is not aparent, replace the radiator cap!

it is cheap, and i have lost count of the people that have gone and replaced thermostats, hoses, thermostats again... just to find out that their cap isnt functioning properly.

they should be changed every time you flush your radiator as a precaution.

7. try taking the cap into supercheap or repco
    if they dont have it, find out the pressure rating of the cap, it may be pressed into it, and search for that.

also try the local kwak shop
  8. Repco is just around the corner, will give them a go, thanks for the tip.