Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

radial mounted brakes?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kyo3email, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Was just wondering what is the advantage of radial mounted brakes ...opposed to the other type...

I really don't know what I'm talking about with brakes and motor bikes.

So i was windering if someone could enlighten me how a radial mounted brake works better.

2. I dont really know but ill have a stab anyway..

I'm going to say that it gives you a larger disk which would help with dispersing heat better...

That and it looks cool!
  3. A radiall mounted caliper has much better alignment with the rotor. The pads stay in make a much better contact with the disc.
    Also less heat.
  4. They're a great way to make bikes even more expensive, whilst improving part of teh performance envelope 95% of riders will never use.
    But you gotta have it to keep up in the market.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. It's wankery. From an engineering point of view you don't want more stiffness in this area. The free play in traditional brakes is there for a reason.

So for the marketing people to be claiming they are better because they are stiffer is just a plain lie. They must have similar levels of movement otherwise you will have problems.

All it is, is something different to convince you to dish out more dough.
  6. You have obviously never ridden a monobloc equipped Ducati. I rode the Hypermotard S last year and the brakes were simply amazing, producing feel and power beyond anything I have ever ridden. My last and current bikes both sport radial mounted calipers, but those Ducati items were in a different world.

But who gives a shit? I really can't understand posts from people saying 'you don't need this' and 'x is a wank'. Just about every bike is at such a hgh state of tune, have so much power, unbelievable handling and tyres that are close to race spec, that picking out one component as 'wank' is simply ridiculous.

If you don't want top flight parts, buy a budget commuter.
  7. From my experience, there's good brakes, there's shit brakes, and there's different levels of feel available from different types of good brakes. Radial and non-radial caliper mounts haven't played into it. I am currently switching my bike from a radial mount to a non radial mount so I can run a non radial caliper which I love the feel of.
  8. Can't find the +1 icon, but here here!!! Couldn't of said it better.
  9. Ahh now we are on a bit of a tangent. Having fewer components in the caliper assembly should ultimately contribute to brake feel.

The radial part is what I was calling wankery. Calipers have to allow for brake and wheel misalignment and out of true. The radial configuration does nothing for the braking performance.

What you also have to factor into your comparison is the Brembo factor. Seemingly identical spec brembos produce completely different feels on different bike. I'm not talking about different makes or even models, but bikes that were built on different days.
  10. For most riders they are as much benefit as USD forks.
    Don't you just love marketing :roll:
  11. I agree with you, I wasn't even really trying to respond to the actual question. A good 'standard' brake will beat a poor 'radial' brake. It's the level of dismissal of people who do attach importance to such things that gives me the shits.

A few weeks ago someone was asking about slipper clutches. There was much derision, mirth and general humour about this persons percieved need for a slipper clutch. Lots of talk about how they aren't needed and add no value to the bike experience. But this comes from riders who are riding bikes that are so far in excess of what's needed to get from A to B. Who cares?

Likewise, someone here was making comments about how top spec suspension isn't worth the money and that most riders won't notice or feel the difference. Apart from being bullshit, who cares? If someone wants to spend $1500 on an Ohlins rear shock, then that's for them to deal with. Geez, I spent $400 on some Acculign rearsets that apart from looking absolutely horn will never be used as they were intended! But I'm happy, think they're fantastic and fondle them with unnatural lust whenever I can!

We ride bikes because we are passionate about them. IMO, it'll be a sad day when we buy bikes for their practicality and adherence to some idealistic 'need'. I often disagree with Boris, however I think his 'beige' comments were close to being spot on.
  12. Still not sure I get what the difference is? Is it that the calipers are bolted to the forks with bolts "pointing" towards the axial rather than the bolts running parallel to the axial? The mounting bolts are 90degrees compared to conventional mounts?

I can not see this making any difference at all?

I think the Ducati brakes are so good because of the monoblock component?
  13. My post wasnt in response to yours Cejay.

I've actually tried the Brembo Monobloc and had access to one for my Ape, it would now be on there but I wouldve needed a new mount anyway, with it being 108mm centres on the mount vs my 100mm. Already got a non-rad 6 pot beringer in the parts box at home, so it's going on. Luuuuurvely 1 finger braking, and yes there is a tangible benefit, much the same as my USD Ohlins forks. :LOL:
  14. +1 Cejay

Most people probably cant ride a step thru posties bike to its full potential, but that does not mean you get more riding pleasure from a high end sports bike. Ohlins suspension and improved brakes do change the way a bike feels and the confidence it gives you so even if you don't use these products to there full limit, does not mean there a waste or useless crap?
  15. Yep the bolts on conventional vs radial are perpendicular to one another. Less material required to reach the same level of stiffness and subsequently less unsprung weight... if anyone actually bothered with that. Most mounts are over engineered to buggery.

The main benefit is being able to use spacers to run different sized discs.
  16. The brake calipers are nicely held at both ends rather than cantilevered off of the forks, yep.

As Loz's link says, a conventional brake mounting means the calipers have to be stiff and strong enough to support themselves. Radial mounting means they can potentially have a less "floppy" caliper and/or save weight.

Edit: What devotard said!
  17. Thanks all for your help in understanding this!