Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Radar warnings aid Easter road safety

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by V2, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Saw this article - sounds like a great way we can all assist in making the roads a safer place!

Remember that "every K over is a killer" - especially in front of a radar which are supposedly located in accident black spots, so lets all do our bit and start waving the finger over the Easter break!

Radar warnings aid Easter road safety - Motorbike Writer

2. Sentiments aside, I believe you can still be booked for warning other road users of the presence of Police patrols, cameras, etc

3. I'm pretty sure you're right. We've seen cases where someone erected a "Tax Collectors Ahead" sign and was prosecuted. But a simple 'slow down' motion is very defensible I would think.

4. It would be good to get an actual legal perspective of this. The road side cameras in Qld always had to put up signs saying there was a radar ahead but the police had this requirement removed due to OHS requirements (they could get hit by oncoming traffic when placing the signs near the road - or something like that). I also thought flashing hi-beam was outlawed as it may "blind" oncoming traffic - not essentially because it warned other drivers.

Radio stations here still announce radar locations so I suspect it may be legal to warn other users. Logically, you're slowing road users down which is the intent of any safety campaign.